Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in y12 and I'm looking to do economics at uni. Thing is, my school doesn't offer an Econ alevel. I've taken maths and i know most universities require that. I was just wondering what I should do relating to economics to be able to build up a personal statement for next year

ReputationRep:
    Maths is the most important subject, no university will require an economics A-Level. Some good subjects to take along side it depends on the university and most of them will list what they think may help your application, though at the end of the day they don't hold that much pressure on the subjects you take bar maths (for a BSc anyway.)

Some good subjects to take (though definitely not required) would be humanities such as History, Geography, English, Government or Politics or whatever. Though at the end of the day, most universities won't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)
    Maths is the most important subject, no university will require an economics A-Level. Some good subjects to take along side it depends on the university and most of them will list what they think may help your application, though at the end of the day they don't hold that much pressure on the subjects you take bar maths (for a BSc anyway.)

Some good subjects to take (though definitely not required) would be humanities such as History, Geography, English, Government or Politics or whatever. Though at the end of the day, most universities won't care.
    I've already started alevels and I took maths, bio and psychology (yes ik they don't compliment maths that well), but I was just wondering if there are any extracurricular things I could do relating to economics to write about in a personal statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_ch)
    I've already started alevels and I took maths, bio and psychology (yes ik they don't compliment maths that well), but I was just wondering if there are any extracurricular things I could do relating to economics to write about in a personal statement
    100% the EPQ - I didn't do Economics A level, but showed my passion through that.
    Others include, attending lectures, writing econ articles etc.

ReputationRep:
    Public lectures/ taster courses/ read the Economist/ maybe write an economics blog with school/ do you have a business society at school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_ch)
    Get work experience in relevant places (banks are a good place to get experience, most will accept you too.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinathambi)
    Public lectures/ taster courses/ read the Economist/ maybe write an economics blog with school/ do you have a business society at school?
    My school does nothing to do with business and econ sadly so I'm all on my own for that haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)
    Get work experience in relevant places (banks are a good place to get experience, most will accept you too.)
    Ah thank you! Are there any other places I could get relevant work experience from?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.