Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found that southampton teach you using java, but no other universities i have looked at list the programming languages they use. I want to start getting a headstart to make work at university a little easier for me. at the moment i study C++, should i just carry on with it or start java as well?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Carry on with C++
    If you have time left, you could also work a little bit on java

ReputationRep:
    At my uni they’re teaching Java as the main programming language.

ReputationRep:
    In the first year in Bristol, we do Haskell, C and Java
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryanthom100)
    I found that southampton teach you using java, but no other universities i have looked at list the programming languages they use. I want to start getting a headstart to make work at university a little easier for me. at the moment i study C++, should i just carry on with it or start java as well?
    From the uni open days I've been to, they've all been mainly Java with other languages such as C++ or Python!

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree that generally universities focus on Java, C++ and occasionally Python

ReputationRep:
    Java, C, C++, Haskell, Prologue and ML are the ones I've seen in various lists (not all of them at once - but a few of them usually). Carry on with C++, if you can understand the concepts of C++ then you'll be able to pick up Java fairly quickly as well.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My course is doing c# but I also work as a technical architect and most of my job is working with Java. I'd say stick to C++. Java is relatively easy if you know C++. Have a look at some Java and/or C# (The two languages are very similar) if you want an extra familiarity but if you're comfortable with C++ Java will be easy by comparison. If you want to challenge yourself though, do some C. It's more complicated to use than C++ and from a professional point of view lots of legacy code is still in C (at least in the public sector) and because fewer people learn it now it's a good one to know.

ReputationRep:
    At RHUL, it's Java. I've had previous experience, so it was a walk in the park for me, but it's not too hard to pick up if you're at least somewhat familiar with OOP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Depends on the university.
    How was this post given a rep!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.