The Student Room Group

Selecting top 5 from 8 Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Newcastle!

But is its computer science course as good as the others in the list?
Original post by LeFear
But is its computer science course as good as the others in the list?

ful
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Computer%20Science

It's ranked 3 places behind Nottingham, just behind Royal Holloway and 4 behind Edinburgh. That's not bad.

Newcastle is super-friendly, beautiful and a good school. I don't actually go there, so it's not me just upselling my own university. Pretty much anybody out there will say the same thing. They do an industrial placement.

The lads and ladies up in Newcastle are a laugh.They have an active student union and Newcastle itself has lots to do and see.

Not that any of the other universities you said had terrible student unions, courses or the like. But I think Newcastle edges it.
Reply 22
Ok so based on most of your opinions, I have decided on 3 universities: Manchester,Bristol and Birmingham. For the other 2 choices, i am confused between York,Southampton and Nottingham.

From what i can gather, pros/cons of each
York
+integrated masters of computer science with cyber security AND and yini

Southampton
+Well regarded for its computer science department
-No YinI

Nottingham
+good graduate employment rates
+With YinI
-Maybe not as well regarded for computer science as the others.

Please let me know if my assessment is wrong and you have other pros/cons to add to the list.
Original post by LeFear
Hey,

So I'm an international student looking to apply to universities for 2018 in BSc. Computer Science (Preferably with an Industrial Year). I have narrowed it down to these 8 universities,i'd really appreciate it if you guys can help me select my top 5 from them.

1. University of Manchester - BSc Comp. Sci with IY [I'm 98% sure i'm going to firm this]
2. University of Southampton - BSc Comp.Sci w/o IY
3. University of Nottingham - BSc Comp. Sci with IY
4. University of Birmingham - BSc Comp. Sci with IY
5. University of York - BSc Comp. Sci with IY
6. University of Bristol - BSc Comp. Sci w/o IY
7. Cardiff University - BSc Comp. Sci with IY
8. Lancaster University - BSc Comp. Sci w/o IY

Btw, I intend on doing a masters in Cyber Security after my bachelors hence why i have chosen some universities which have good Masters in Cyber Security courses so that if I want i can continue in the same university for masters.

Also I haven't included Edinburgh or St.Andrews as their bachelors course is 4 years long without even an industrial year. I know the top universities for computer science are Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc but due to budget constraints i am not considering them.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't forget those universities that offer NCSC-certified degrees, and who have thus demonstrated excellence as part of that assessment. There's a list at https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/ncsc-certified-degrees, where you can see Bachelor's courses on offer from Royal Holloway and Warwick, and Integrated Master's courses from RH and Southampton (who I see on your list above). All these universities also offer certified Master's degrees.

Although the courses have 'cyber security' in the title, they have a strong core of Computer Science too, as this is part of the assessment criteria we use.

We hope this helps, and are happy to answer any other questions on the scheme.
Reply 24
Original post by The National Cyber Security Centre
Don't forget those universities that offer NCSC-certified degrees, and who have thus demonstrated excellence as part of that assessment. There's a list at https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/ncsc-certified-degrees, where you can see Bachelor's courses on offer from Royal Holloway and Warwick, and Integrated Master's courses from RH and Southampton (who I see on your list above). All these universities also offer certified Master's degrees.

Although the courses have 'cyber security' in the title, they have a strong core of Computer Science too, as this is part of the assessment criteria we use.

We hope this helps, and are happy to answer any other questions on the scheme.

Yes, that was one of the bases on which i chose them. Btw i wanted to know, is the new integrated masters course in university of York accredited by your group. I know their masters is but their integrated masters with industrial year seems new which starts from this year.
Original post by LeFear
Yes, that was one of the bases on which i chose them. Btw i wanted to know, is the new integrated masters course in university of York accredited by your group. I know their masters is but their integrated masters with industrial year seems new which starts from this year.

Sorry - re-reading your original message I can see that you focused on those universities that offer good Master's courses.

The Integrated Master's course at York isn't certified yet, but we are opening a new certification call for IM and Bachelor's degrees in November, so it may be that they choose to apply as part of that. If they apply, and if they are successful, they will have certification in place for September 2018.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending