Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am currently in Year 13 and will be applying to university to start a course in September-October 2018. One of my chosen universities is the University of Bath but I'm confused about the accommodation. It says:

"If you are an eligible first year undergraduate and apply by the 1 July deadline, you are guaranteed accommodation."

There is a hyperlink for "eligible first year undergraduate" and it leads to this page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/applyin...accommodation/

That page contains this:

"University managed accommodation
    You can apply for University-managed accommodation if you have a firm offer from us and any of these are true:

You are in your first year studying a full-time undergraduate course
    You are studying a full-time Foundation Degree in Sports Performance (C601)
    You are a new MA Contemporary European Studies (Euromasters) student
    You are a new overseas, fee-paying postgraduate
    You are a University student with specific medical conditions or disabilities
    You are leaving care provided by the State or other organisations
    You have been estranged from your parents for a long period of time
    You are an exchange or visiting student nominated for student accommodation by the International Mobility team
    You are a summer pre-sessional English student with a conditional or combined offer of admission"

My understanding of this is that I have to be in my first year of university to apply but that doesn't make sense. I want to apply to live there for my first year. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolguy64592)
    Hello! I am currently in Year 13 and will be applying to university to start a course in September-October 2018. One of my chosen universities is the University of Bath but I'm confused about the accommodation. It says:

"If you are an eligible first year undergraduate and apply by the 1 July deadline, you are guaranteed accommodation."

There is a hyperlink for "eligible first year undergraduate" and it leads to this page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/applyin...accommodation/

That page contains this:

You can apply for University-managed accommodation if you have a firm offer from us and any of these are true:

You are an exchange or visiting student nominated for student accommodation by the International Mobility team
    You are a summer pre-sessional English student with a conditional or combined offer of admission"

My understanding of this is that I have to be in my first year of university to apply but that doesn't make sense. I want to apply to live there for my first year. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks!
    Hi!

Here is what they mean: if you put the university as your firm and apply by the due date you will be guaranteed accommodation by the university as a first year student.

Accommodation by the university is only available to first year students, which you will be when you apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beaverhausen)
    Hi!

Here is what they mean: if you put the university as your firm and apply by the due date you will be guaranteed accommodation by the university as a first year student.

Accommodation by the university is only available to first year students, which you will be when you apply.
    Ah okay, that makes sense. What about my insurance offer? Supposing I don't meet my firm offer, when will I apply for accommodation for my insurance offer?

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, that makes sense. What about my insurance offer? Supposing I don't meet my firm offer, when will I apply for accommodation for my insurance offer?
    You would have to check the specific university's policy on that.

If you put the University of Bath as your insurance offer, you will not be guaranteed accommodation by the university as a first year. There is a possibility you will get accommodation by the university, but it will not be for certain. You would be able to apply for accommodation once you have received your grades and the university gets in touch with you to apply for it.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

That page contains this:

Thanks!
    Hi,

Just a quick message to confirm what the other posts have suggested- undergraduate applicants will be guaranteed university accommodation if Bath is their firm choice. We cannot offer a guarantee where Bath is the applicant's insurance choice, but will offer university accommodation if possible.

If Bath is your firm choice you will be able to apply from April/May (exact date to be confirmed) once you have accepted your offer. If Bath is your insurance choice you will be able to apply from August once you become unconditional firm at Bath (normally this would be once your firm application had become unsuccessful).

Apologies if the information online caused confusion- I will ask our web team to address this.

Do let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2017
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.