Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I've recently found out that I have to retake my second year at uni as I failed 3 modules (even though I already have a level 5 qualification but that's another story 🙄)I've now found out that the student loan company has payed out my loan in the understanding that I'm going in to my final year and as I'm not, that money has to go back. So I now owe the uni £2250 just to drop out or £4000 to stay for the year. I can't afford either, and wasn't aware till yesterday that my loan was wrongly given. Surly this is the university's fault for confirming my loan for 3rd year even though they knew I had to repeat a year? I only found out 2 weeks ago that I have to repeat the year. What do I do? I really can't afford either without my loan, and I feel like I've been conned out of thousands of pounds. HELP!!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    What?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This is just confusing to read.

Set up a payment plan with the university.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps post in the student finance forum? You should get 4 years of funding, so even if you have to repeat the year, you should still be funded for the entirety of your degree...

ReputationRep:
    I've already used my gift year as I had to re do a 2nd year at the new uni (even though I'd already passed level 5 at another uni) confusing I know 😩

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unihelp1995)
    I've already used my gift year as I had to re do a 2nd year at the new uni (even though I'd already passed level 5 at another uni) confusing I know 😩
    Maybe, university isn’t the place for you?

ReputationRep:
    Hence why I want to leave... but can't afford to leave
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you have used up your gift year then there is little you can do. You will have to pay to finish your degree, especially since you have failed a year and need to repeat it to continue on in the degree.

My muckers Doonesbury might been able to tell you what you need to do, but I think I am correct in saying that things do not look too well for you.

ReputationRep:
    Basically the university has tied me up in knots. It's nothing to do with my ability to perform on my course. The uni offered for me to re do second year so I could "get to know" the new uni. I was originally only meant to do a final top up year. But unfortunately I failed the re take second year they offered because there wasn't any improvement in my work.... because there was nothing new to learn 👍🏻 and now I cant afford to stay but neither can I afford to leave.

ReputationRep:
    Hence why I want to leave... but can't afford to leave
    Why can’t you leave? Plenty of students drop out.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    If you have used up your gift year then there is little you can do. You will have to pay to finish your degree, especially since you have failed a year and need to repeat it to continue on in the degree.

My muckers Doonesbury might been able to tell you what you need to do, but I think I am correct in saying that things do not look too well for you.
    Confirmed...

ReputationRep:
    Because I have to pay £2250 to leave? Have you ever been to university?

ReputationRep:
    Because I have to pay £2250 to leave? Have you ever been to university?
    I’m at university right now. If you have to pay to leave, you may aswell just stay and finish.

Did you fail second year twice?

ReputationRep:
    So your choices are these:

Stay .....and could you apply for either a hardship payment from the Uni or a student overdraft from the bank?

Leave....you don’t have to pay anything back until you earn over £21k...but you have no degree to show for it.

There are no other options sadly in my opinion. Others with greater knowledge of the finance system may be able to help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.