Turn on thread page Beta

is it really THAT weird for me to be asian and doing war studies? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    my mom is making such a big deal out of this.

i really dont know what her problem is.

makes me want to strangle the living hell out of her.

i know i've made lots of threads on this, but i really dont think she'll ever get it.

she was like "if war studies is really that good, then why are there no hong kong people on the course?" i mean, what kind of reasoning is that?!?!?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR RRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

ReputationRep:
    A mother's reasoning.

When I did an O Level early my cousin's mother told my grandmother it couldn't be a 'real O Level' because her daughter hadnt done one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)

i know i've made lots of threads on this, but i really dont think she'll ever get it.

she was like "if war studies is really that good, then why are there no hong kong people on the course?" i mean, what kind of reasoning is that?!?!?!

I know you mean asian as in east asian but I'm pakistani and my parents think doing A-level History is completly pointless :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yay i'm kinda glad that there are no chinese ppl on the course though, so i dont only hang out with the chinese society ppl............i'll have some friends of other nationalities too!

ReputationRep:
    yay i'm kinda glad that there are no chinese ppl on the course though, so i dont only hang out with the chinese society ppl............i'll have some friends of other nationalities too!
    Which campus are you on?

ReputationRep:
    the strand....

ReputationRep:
    the strand....
    Same here!

ReputationRep:
    cool......oh yeah........i was just surfing kcl xangas and i found yours!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's anything wrong whatsoever with anyone doing a degree that they want to do, or that they think they'll enjoy or that they're going to learn something from, or...

Really, does it matter what anyone else thinks, its your life and I, personally, wouldn't throw away 3/4 years for anyone .

ReputationRep:
    Parents are stupid sometimes. When you've invaded the rest of the world, you can show her.

ReputationRep:
    My parents think it was a complete waste for me to do Psychology and Italian at college. I think it may have been due to jealousy because I went to Sunday Chinese school for like 8 years and I still can't read or write fluently. Some parents would also go mad if I told them I was going to learn some Japanese at uni (when my Chinese is crap) but my parents were ok with it I guess. I mean, Japan is one of the best places to live in.....

ReputationRep:

It's nothing weird about your being Asian..
    But what exactly do you have in mind for your future after you read war studies?
    Don' get me wrong but doing war studies may be weird..

That's possibly your mother's concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    My parents think it was a complete waste for me to do Psychology and Italian at college. I think it may have been due to jealousy because I went to Sunday Chinese school for like 8 years and I still can't read or write fluently. Some parents would also go mad if I told them I was going to learn some Japanese at uni (when my Chinese is crap) but my parents were ok with it I guess. I mean, Japan is one of the best places to live in.....
    wow your story is similar to mine!! Went to chinese school for many years and didnt learn anything, since my speaking is crap :confused:

Japan = anime heaven

ReputationRep:
    is it really THAT weird for me to be asian and doing war studies?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    is it really THAT weird for me to be asian and doing war studies?
    I am Asian and I am dying to get into KCL's war studies program. But, maybe we Asian Americans are weird like that. I prefer to call myself American, however.

Which school (Uni in English-English, yes? As Opposed to American-English) did you get in to?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.