Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not sure if I'm happy at the college I chose Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought I liked the college I attend but now I'm beginning to question it. It's really overwhelming being there but when I'm in my lessons I feel fine but when I'm at home in the evening I begin to wonder what it would be like if I went to a sixth form instead. My college has about 1400 students whereas the sixth form I almost went to has about 150 students in total. I'm not sure if it's my mind playing games of if I actually deep down don't like it but I don't want to make the mistake of moving. It's stressing me out as I don't know if it's my anxiety and returning depression causing it or if I actually want to move.
    Can anyone help guide me?
    Thank you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Is the "150 students in total" sixth form called Connell by any chance?

ABout you feeling "overwhelming"....my best advice would be to get involved into something (e.g. clubs, extra subject sessions, friend circle...if you can find one). I went to a pretty big college before shifting to my new college. It had nearly 2000 students...I think. At first, I felt overwhelmed but soon I made friends and that grew into a friends circle/group. I forgot that "overwhelming" feeling once I kept myself busy with my mates during free slots in my timetable. This worked for me but seen some other guys look miserable in large groups (mainly because they did not partake in the conversation going on and such). It could work for you....but may not as well. Anyway, this feeling should naturally disappear within couple of weeks doe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDieMstr)
    Is the "150 students in total" sixth form called Connell by any chance?

ABout you feeling "overwhelming"....my best advice would be to get involved into something (e.g. clubs, extra subject sessions, friend circle...if you can find one). I went to a pretty big college before shifting to my new college. It had nearly 2000 students...I think. At first, I felt overwhelmed but soon I made friends and that grew into a friends circle/group. I forgot that "overwhelming" feeling once I kept myself busy with my mates during free slots in my timetable. This worked for me but seen some other guys look miserable in large groups (mainly because they did not partake in the conversation going on and such). It could work for you....but may not as well. Anyway, this feeling should naturally disappear within couple of weeks doe.
    I have no idea what that sixth form is no. If I were to move I would be going to an almost all girls one. I hope this feeling goes away I'm just terrified that I've made a horrible mistake and I'm also thinking of changing my options too which is adding to it as I'm not happy with one of my courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxofearlessgirl)
    I have no idea what that sixth form is no. If I were to move I would be going to an almost all girls one. I hope this feeling goes away I'm just terrified that I've made a horrible mistake and I'm also thinking of changing my options too which is adding to it as I'm not happy with one of my courses.
    Have you discussed this issue with somebody, not a friend or someone of your age but a counselor (or a staff member of your college) or your parents? I always talked to my parents b4 making a big decision (changing college is deffo a big choice) coz they always would give me a mature response like the benefits and disadvantages of me actually proceeding with a big decision that I might not have thought of and usually they are cool with it even if it does look like a mistake to them. If you have not, I suggest you do

ReputationRep:
    Have you discussed this issue with somebody, not a friend or someone of your age but a counselor (or a staff member of your college) or your parents? I always talked to my parents b4 making a big decision (changing college is deffo a big choice) coz they always would give me a mature response like the benefits and disadvantages of me actually proceeding with a big decision that I might not have thought of and usually they are cool with it even if it does look like a mistake to them. If you have not, I suggest you do
    I've tried speaking to my mum but she's hasn't been of any help. I see a councillor on Monday as I meet with someone weekly already so I'm going to talk to her about it all to help figure out my options. I just feel like I'm trapped in uncertainty which overwhelms me. I get anxious a lot so this is making it a lot worse. I just don't know what to do so I'm stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxofearlessgirl)
    I've tried speaking to my mum but she's hasn't been of any help. I see a councillor on Monday as I meet with someone weekly already so I'm going to talk to her about it all to help figure out my options. I just feel like I'm trapped in uncertainty which overwhelms me. I get anxious a lot so this is making it a lot worse. I just don't know what to do so I'm stuck.
    Alright, simplify your choices logically instead using your emotions as a basis to go through with it. Is it affecting your academic performance? Is it affecting how you interact with others? Are you sure you will DEFINITELY feel better if you changed to a sixth form of that size you described? Does that sixth form offer same courses or courses you want to do? I don't really know you or your level of negative emotions but these are the type of questions I would ask myself to make it simple enough for me to proceed with a big decision. SInce you are going to meet this councillor, you should THINK more in depth and find out what will REALLY make you happy at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, simplify your choices logically instead using your emotions as a basis to go through with it. Is it affecting your academic performance? Is it affecting how you interact with others? Are you sure you will DEFINITELY feel better if you changed to a sixth form of that size you described? Does that sixth form offer same courses or courses you want to do? I don't really know you or your level of negative emotions but these are the type of questions I would ask myself to make it simple enough for me to proceed with a big decision. SInce you are going to meet this councillor, you should THINK more in depth and find out what will REALLY make you happy at the end.
    Thank you, I'm going to try and sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow again and if I do still feel the same, I'll make an in depth list of pros and cons and really think about it. What makes me question my reasonings is that I only think about it in the evening, swaying these emotions towards the anxiety behind this huge change of being at college. I know i can do well at either place but I feel like I could do academically better at the sixth form that's small as I feel like they get more support and I could also do a subject I can't do at my current college that I'm interested in as I want to change subjects anyway. I just need to think about this properly and logically. Thank you for being there to talk to, you've been so helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.