Cheap Car Insurance for 17 year old.

Watch
JohnC12321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For a driver who has recently passed there drivers test:
How do I get cheap car insurance (under £1000 a year if possible). Eg what cars are cheap to insure and which companies to insure with any tips for cheap car insurance.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
Last edited by Professor Oak; 1 year ago
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My mini was £800 to insure but it depends on so many factors..If you live in a dodgier area then you just have to suck it up and pay higher costs
xxrawxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The chances are very very slim that you'll get insurance under £1000 as a new driver, especially being 17, insurance companies hate insuring 17 year olds therefore it's actually a bit cheaper when you turn 18.

My first insurance cost me £1,200 and I was 18 and my car is a Renault megane, wasn't too bad however the cheapest cars to insure are generally the toyota aygo, C1 and 107 city cars.

(Original post by JohnC12321)
How do I get cheap car insurance (under £1000 a year if possible). Eg what cars are cheap to insure and which companies to insure with any tips for cheap car insurance.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to Cars and motoring.
username3519792
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I want a car too but insurance uhhh
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Read this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4825738
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's hard to get cheap insurance so young because so many young drivers crash and have accidents, meaning it gets cheaper as you get older. You'll have to search around a lot and you might find something, but it seems like it'll be hard.
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Cheap car insurance" and "17 year old" are pretty much mutually exclusive . Look at cars that have a low insurance group - this will usually be small hatchbacks or city cars (A, B or possibly C-segment to use the official terms) with small engines. Try different parameters such as insurance type (fully-comprehensive or third-party only - the latter doesn't give you as good coverage but isn't always cheaper!) and excess (how much you have to pay when you make a claim - the larger this is, the lower the premium will be, but it's a risk). It also depends quite a lot on where you live, so while some people on here may boast about their three-figure quote, it isn't feasible for everyone.
Aaronrj01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2003 Ford Ka £840. That’s an insane deal, came up on compare the market
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
from my experience:

- the newer the car the cheaper the insurance;
- living in a rural area puts you to an advantage;
- saying you park on the road instead of garage is cheaper
- small engined cars are the cheapest (except a few);
- do less miles (put down no more than 6000 yearly estimated mileage);
- if you still cant find cheaper, consider a black box or wait a couple of years;

at your age i suggest something like a vw up, skoda citigo, sear mii, ford ka, vauxhall corsa 1.0, vw polo 1.0, fiat 500, ford fiesta, peugeot 107, toyota aygo, smart fortwo (all 13 plate and above).
those cars happened to get me the cheapest quotes when i just passed.

if a newer car is out of your budget, try find a car that is not commonly on the road, such as a vw lupo or fiat cinquecento, perodua kelisa, geo metro, smart fortwo, chevrolet/daewoo matiz, kalos, mg metro, peugeot 106 etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (100)
13.3%
I'm not sure (32)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (235)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.39%
I'm not a current university student (367)
48.8%

Watched Threads