Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheap Car Insurance for 17 year old. Watch

ReputationRep:
    For a driver who has recently passed there drivers test:
    How do I get cheap car insurance (under £1000 a year if possible). Eg what cars are cheap to insure and which companies to insure with any tips for cheap car insurance.

ReputationRep:
    My mini was £800 to insure but it depends on so many factors..If you live in a dodgier area then you just have to suck it up and pay higher costs

ReputationRep:
    The chances are very very slim that you'll get insurance under £1000 as a new driver, especially being 17, insurance companies hate insuring 17 year olds therefore it's actually a bit cheaper when you turn 18.

My first insurance cost me £1,200 and I was 18 and my car is a Renault megane, wasn't too bad however the cheapest cars to insure are generally the toyota aygo, C1 and 107 city cars.

(Original post by JohnC12321)
    How do I get cheap car insurance (under £1000 a year if possible). Eg what cars are cheap to insure and which companies to insure with any tips for cheap car insurance.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Cars and motoring.

ReputationRep:
    I want a car too but insurance uhhh
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Read this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4825738

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to get cheap insurance so young because so many young drivers crash and have accidents, meaning it gets cheaper as you get older. You'll have to search around a lot and you might find something, but it seems like it'll be hard.

ReputationRep:
    "Cheap car insurance" and "17 year old" are pretty much mutually exclusive . Look at cars that have a low insurance group - this will usually be small hatchbacks or city cars (A, B or possibly C-segment to use the official terms) with small engines. Try different parameters such as insurance type (fully-comprehensive or third-party only - the latter doesn't give you as good coverage but isn't always cheaper!) and excess (how much you have to pay when you make a claim - the larger this is, the lower the premium will be, but it's a risk). It also depends quite a lot on where you live, so while some people on here may boast about their three-figure quote, it isn't feasible for everyone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.