Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

70 year old man at Uni Watch

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So just remembered that on Friday I came in late for one of my lectures. I sat at the back and 5 minutes after that an old man also comes in, looked around 70, and sits next to me. During the lecture he struggled to read his writing due to poor vision so he takes out his glasses and puts them on. His hands were shaking when trying to write. When the lecture ended, it was visibility noticeable that he struggled to pick up his bag as he released a loud sigh, it was probably too heavy for him. This left me speechless. I felt so much respect for this guy, but also for some reason I felt quite sad for him. I'm still trying to find out why that is, why I felt sad for this man, because at the end of the day everything he did is simply natural, old age affects everyone eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    So just remembered that on Friday I came in late for one of my lectures. I sat at the back and 5 minutes after that an old man also comes in, looked around 70, and sits next to me. During the lecture he struggled to read his writing due to poor vision so he takes out his glasses and puts them on. His hands were shaking when trying to write. When the lecture ended, it was visibility noticeable that he struggled to pick up his bag as he released a loud sigh, it was probably too heavy for him. This left me speechless. I felt so much respect for this guy, but also for some reason I felt quite sad for him. I'm still trying to find out why that is, why I felt sad for this man, because at the end of the day everything he did is simply natural, old age affects everyone eventually.
    You felt sad because you saw a vision of that being you in 50 years.

ReputationRep:
    Just help the man out a little
    No point watching and doing nothing if he needs help then help him

ReputationRep:
    Even if it affects everyone naturally, I think it's normal to feel sad lol. Just reading that has made me feel sad for him.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn’t he print out the lecture slides and annotate them? It may be slightly easier for him.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    You felt sad because you saw a vision of that being you in 50 years.
    Maybe you are right. No one wants to get old and physically struggling/unable to do common tasks.

ReputationRep:
    Bless His soul man. I don't know why, but i felt very emotional after reading that very short post. I hope he gets the degree, education or goal he gets. ****ing bless him. Making guys cry even when we have never met ;/
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Savage)
    Just help the man out a little
    No point watching and doing nothing if he needs help then help him
    He didn't need help though

ReputationRep:
    why tf is he in uni at 70? respect to him for that...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Couldn’t he print out the lecture slides and annotate them? It may be slightly easier for him.
    The slides are online. And in all honesty he seemed like the guy that wouldn't know how to access them. God bless.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaZe Clan)
    No idea. It impressed me that's for sure

ReputationRep:
    The slides are online. And in all honesty he seemed like the guy that wouldn't know how to access them. God bless.
    Aww, that’s a shame. Perhaps, you can teach him? It might makes things a little easier for him, instead of having to write everything down and rushing.

I mean, he got this far so he must know how to use UCAS etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaZe Clan)
    I'm closer to that age than most of you, and I'd always hoped to treat myself to another degree after retirement. Not sure that it's something I'll be able to do with fees the way they are (and they'll be more for someone who isn't likely to make a long term contribution to society afterwards!).
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Bless His soul man. I don't know why, but i felt very emotional after reading that very short post. I hope he gets the degree, education or goal he gets. ****ing bless him. Making guys cry even when we have never met ;/
    Now imagine experiencing that in person. It was quite a sentimental experience. But yes, bless his soul. Hope he does well also

ReputationRep:
    Get him to sign up to TSR so we can all rep him.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosam00)
    Even if it affects everyone naturally, I think it's normal to feel sad lol. Just reading that has made me feel sad for him.
    I guess so. Compassion is simply in our nature as a species.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Aww, that’s a shame. Perhaps, you can teach him? It might makes things a little easier for him, instead of having to write everything down and rushing.

I mean, he got this far so he must know how to use UCAS etc.
    If I'll see him again I'll try talk to him. And find out if he needs help with stuff like that
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A guy recently got his degree in his 90s!

I work with the elderly and age affects everyone differently, depending on genetics and how they lived their lives. We have seen people in their hundreds who get up every day and go for a walk and are mentally sound. But we have seen people in their 80s who are unable to walk or communicate. It's a luck of the draw but how you live your life can affect how you age and how pleasant or unpleasant your old age will be.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Get him to sign up to TSR so we can all rep him.
    Rep me instead lol. Just joking. But idk, this man evoked something in me. A strong feeling of compassion, as well as admiration. It felt strange.

ReputationRep:
    The bloke probably wants to get a degree before he dies and fair play to him.

Having to sit exams would put me off ever getting another degree personally.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.