Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Women and girls just don't seem to have any proclivity towards it. Yesterday whilst waiting for my all male student compsci class to start, I watched the adjacent humanities class fill up with 90% females.

My friend has interviewed many people for developer roles and I asked him about this issue. I asked how many women he had interviewed and his response was zero as they had not received a single application from a female.

There needs to be more outreach and exposure to girls(and boys) at an early age to show the subject area is vast and diverse and certain roles have a large amount of creativity. To an outsider looking in, it can look pretty grim and there is the fedora tipping neck beard stereotype that is necessarily completely true.

Whilst thinking more about this, I found this link and it is worth a read - http://www.computerscience.org/resou...puter-science/. It highlights some of what I wrote, but expands considerably.

Most men want more women in the industry. The idea that there is some sort of locker-room boys club preventing this from happening is not true.

I agree with chazwomaq view as well that there is a gender bias towards certain areas and this has been substantiated many times over by academic research, but we have also seen the recent controversy when ex google employee James D'amore's observations and recommendations about this very issue were leaked. The poor guy was crucified for just trying to get a dialogue started.

I believe that some women can be as competent as some men and I would like to see an increase in the ratio of male/female workers, but there will never be the utopia of a 50/50 split for the same reason that men massively under-represented in areas such as teaching and nursing - but there is obviously not an issue in these areas as it is seldom discussed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocodile_ears)
    The argument comes down to nature vs. nurture, are women naturally more interested in certain jobs, or is everyone influenced by social expectations? Maybe it's both, but I think the latter is is too interesting and important to ignore. Let's take video games as an example, as a lot of people get into computer science because of them - do less women play video games because they don't just don't want to, or do less play because almost all the story-lines and playable characters are about men?
    That is a very good point. Are too many video games made for a masculine audience? Is there no money to be made from video games that appeal to girls?

Similar things could be said for other products. I remember a time when a (home educated) girl wanted a BMX. She had previously ridden a friend's BMX and decided that was the type of bike she wanted, and she didn't want a mountain bike with gears or something that looked like an old ladies bike. Her parents and female friends were surprised with the choice because most BMX bikes have very masculine colours and are marketed at boys even though under the paintwork they are technically unisex.

A strange paradox is that girls who take D&T Food Technology for GCSE outnumber boys but celebrity masterchefs are almost always men.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a combination of there being fewer girls inclined to it, and that society kind of discourages us, in that CS is perceived to be done by only males.
    I go to an all-girls school, and 10 people including me do it (year group of about 80) and 4 people do it at a level, which i'd imagine is a higher number of girls than most schools. At all-girls schools, people are more free to express themselves and are more encouraged to study what they want, i know that i would be less comfortable doing CS if i was the only girl in a class full of boys.
    There have been plenty of female computer scientists over the years, so it's not like we're incapable of it, but it can be difficult to separate nature and nurture.

ReputationRep:
    Does any information exist about the popularity of Computer Science between students from different races / ethnic groups / religions? If so, then does Computer Science appeal to girls in some groups more or less than the national average?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    Does any information exist about the popularity of Computer Science between students from different races / ethnic groups / religions? If so, then does Computer Science appeal to girls in some groups more or less than the national average?
    idk about nationally, but in my class of 10 girls there's only 2 white people lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm the only girl in my Computing class too.
    Maybe it's because it's not a facilitating subject, and not a requirement for most Computing related courses?

Although, reading the rest of your post, I'd have to say that there are quite a few girls in the subjects you mentioned, at least where I am; there are more girls than boys in my Maths class, for example.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of girls aren’t interested or feel they’re not good at it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Stupid expectations and not enough encouragement.

No all women aren't 'maternally inclined'. This isn't the 50s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Stupid expectations and not enough encouragement.

No all women aren't 'maternally inclined'. This isn't the 50s.
    To be fair I don't think the problem is encouragement. The girls who do go into the STEM fields are generally interested in them which is really good. It could maybe be that majority of them are just not interested in Computer Science.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TiggerTiger)
    What makes a subject primarily a "Boys" subject.

This question has been playing on my mind since I started Sixth Form in 2016 and found I was the only girl in my Computer Science. I really want to know why there are not many girls taking subjects like Computing, Product Design, Maths, Physics, Engineering.

I was wondering if you guys could help.
    It wasn't always like this...

And it was Ada Lovelace day on the 10th Oct:
    https://findingada.com
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Black Water)
    To be fair I don't think the problem is encouragement. The girls who do go into the STEM fields are generally interested in them which is really good. It could maybe be that majority of them are just not interested in Computer Science.
    So you've met and questioned all girl?

K.

ReputationRep:
    So you've met and questioned all girl?

K.
    When did I say that? If I said that then show me.

There are so many STEM events for girls only so you can't just say that there isn't enough encouragement.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    When did I say that? If I said that then show me.

There are so many STEM events for girls only so you can't just say that there isn't enough encouragement.
    You said the majority of girls aren't interested in Computer Science, so naturally, I assumed you at least talked to some to get some kind of response. Not just made some massive assumption.

Also, that's not even close to the only reason.

ReputationRep:
    You said the majority of girls aren't interested in Computer Science, so naturally, I assumed you at least talked to some to get some kind of response. Not just made some massive assumption.

Also, that's not even close to the only reason.
    I actually have spoken to a lot of girls in our school about Computer Science/STEM. I said maybe it could be, I didn't say majority definitely are not interested.

What other reasons are there?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I actually have spoken to a lot of girls in our school about Computer Science/STEM. I said maybe it could be, I didn't say majority definitely are not interested.

What other reasons are there?
    Well, that's your school.

I already said, expectations.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's your school.

I already said, expectations.
    Yes that's true, there isn't even one girl taking A-Level Computer Science which is bad.

Could you elaborate on this please?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes that's true, there isn't even one girl taking A-Level Computer Science which is bad.

Could you elaborate on this please?
    Meh, I didn't do A-Levels so I dunno.

Expectations to do other subjects-from a younger age.

Like for example, I guess this is just me but whatever, my grandad expected me to pursue Nursing just because I'm a girl, even though I never even wanted to do such a thing. Happens a lot to other girls too, and it's quite annoying actually. I'd rather do what I wanna do.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I didn't do A-Levels so I dunno.

Expectations to do other subjects-from a younger age.

Like for example, I guess this is just me but whatever, my grandad expected me to pursue Nursing just because I'm a girl, even though I never even wanted to do such a thing. Happens a lot to other girls too, and it's quite annoying actually. I'd rather do what I wanna do.
    Yeah I get what you mean. I guess it's your family as well and their influence. My parents always tell me to become a doctor or an Engineer. At first, I wanted to be an accountant for some reason but now I actually want to become an Engineer because of my family partly.

Girls are also usually pushed to become midwives as well which is quite horrible. They never usually get to choose what they want to become, just controlled by their family.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah I get what you mean. I guess it's your family as well and their influence. My parents always tell me to become a doctor or an Engineer. At first, I wanted to be an accountant for some reason but now I actually want to become an Engineer because of my family partly.

Girls are also usually pushed to become midwives as well which is quite horrible. They never usually get to choose what they want to become, just controlled by their family.
    Yeah, it's just really annoying when they can't just accept your decisions and try and push stuff on you.
    How is Engineering?

I know, it's ridiculous. They should just pursue their passion but it is hard when you're not supported.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's just really annoying when they can't just accept your decisions and try and push stuff on you.
    How is Engineering?

I know, it's ridiculous. They should just pursue their passion but it is hard when you're not supported.
    Yeah I get what you mean, it should be their own decision. You misunderstood, I haven't started Engineering in university yet. I've only started first year of A-Level. Are you currently at University?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.