The Student Room Group

Laptop For Uni

Hi there, slightly obscure question I know but would current vet students recommend having a laptop for uni? Thanks in advance :h:
Most people at mine seem to have apple macbooks or notebooks much to the delight of one lecturer :wink:
I’ve always used a Mac, but that’s because it’s small and really light. Depends on your budget really! Practically my whole year have macs it’s pretty interesting seeing a room full of silver laptops with the Apple logo.
Reply 3
Get a Kindle
A laptop is useful for many courses, although not absolutely required. A mac is no more useful than a typical laptop, and debatably less useful in many situations. They're also obscenely expensive for no benefit. Depending on what you need, you can get a cheap little netbook/similar from e.g. Lenovo that will suffice for general browsing and reviewing of materials from VLEs etc, and an external HDD for storing any work on. I have a nice one for work that I got from JL (although I think it turned out it was cheaper from Lenovo directly) that was about £180-200 which is perfect for browsing etc and can even run less intensive games (such as league of legends) in min settings. If you need to keep large amounts of files on it permanently, or intend to do some more serious computational modelling, then something a little more robust may be better, but there are plenty of options available.
Reply 5
I always think that Apple laptops are ridiculously overpriced. Still ppl buy them 😕
Apple laptops tend to go on, and on, and on, without slowing down, so when you look at a cost on a per year basis they are not so bad. Apple also gives student discount :smile:

Original post by Selinaloh
I always think that Apple laptops are ridiculously overpriced. Still ppl buy them 😕
Reply 7
Definitely get a laptop, it will help you very much, especially in uni.
Reply 8
Original post by animalmagic
Apple laptops tend to go on, and on, and on, without slowing down, so when you look at a cost on a per year basis they are not so bad. Apple also gives student discount :smile:

Not bad then. Probably just my biased opinion since my friends have been using macs and theirs seems to be lagging once in a while .
Original post by luberry
Hi there, slightly obscure question I know but would current vet students recommend having a laptop for uni? Thanks in advance :h:

Yes, I would definitely recommend a laptop. I remember when my laptop broke and going to the library and finding a spare computer (esp during exam season) is sometimes difficult. I personally worked better at home on my laptop, which you will need to view lectures, do research, find out your timetable etc. Also, it's often cheaper to print at home than paying library fees (at Liverpool anyway).
Yeah a laptop in my experience is better than a Mac (I went to Nottingham), you can't access all the programmes you need on a mac for the course.

Nottingham provide a laptop though

If you want to get a mac, wait until you're a student - you get a large discount as a student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending