Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m thinking about applying for King’s/LSE as for top choice followed by Manchester. Which one of King’s and LSE would be generally better?? I really really have no idea cuz I heard from others that King’s is going down the list recently??
    And I have problem with my personal statement too. My teacher advised me to research on the unis’ requirements for PS but only LSE stated clearly on their website on what they’re looking for in a PS. It says 80% academic and 20% extracurricular, but I don’t know anything for King’s. Are law firm attachment and extra readings considered extracurricular??
    Kind of desperate now
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    LSE is more prestigious and has a higher reputation soooooooooooo............

ReputationRep:
    I believe you don't have to stick to the 80:20 ratio as long as it shows curiosity, some experience with the subject and is structured well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juntingwong)
    I’m thinking about applying for King’s/LSE as for top choice followed by Manchester. Which one of King’s and LSE would be generally better?? I really really have no idea cuz I heard from others that King’s is going down the list recently??
    And I have problem with my personal statement too. My teacher advised me to research on the unis’ requirements for PS but only LSE stated clearly on their website on what they’re looking for in a PS. It says 80% academic and 20% extracurricular, but I don’t know anything for King’s. Are law firm attachment and extra readings considered extracurricular??
    Kind of desperate now
    On the LSE v KCL choice... https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post73877788

It's called a ranking, not a list.

Why on earth is Manchester your third choice? There are several good-to-excellent unis that could fit in between KCL and Manchester (anything from Durham down to Warwick or Exeter)

The 80:20 requirement sounds good, and applies to all unis, not just LSE. Make sure that those extracurriculars tie into the study of law somehow. I'm guessing that LSE won't be impressed if you do anything more than a fleeting mention at your coding skills or tuba competition victories. Law firm attachments and a thoughtful reflection on any law-related readings should be excellent for the P.S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    On the LSE v KCL choice... https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post73877788

It's called a ranking, not a list.

Why on earth is Manchester your third choice? There are several good-to-excellent unis that could fit in between KCL and Manchester (anything from Durham down to Warwick or Exeter)

The 80:20 requirement sounds good, and applies to all unis, not just LSE. Make sure that those extracurriculars tie into the study of law somehow. I'm guessing that LSE won't be impressed if you do anything more than a fleeting mention at your coding skills or tuba competition victories. Law firm attachments and a thoughtful reflection on any law-related readings should be excellent for the P.S.
    Thanks!!! It’s really helpful!!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    A PS aimed at LSE in that way will not penalise you for other unis. Academic stuff would be things like extra reading. It's best to avoid talking about law firm experience - law is an academic degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    A PS aimed at LSE in that way will not penalise you for other unis. Academic stuff would be things like extra reading. It's best to avoid talking about law firm experience - law is an academic degree
    Thank you!! I’m trying to link my experience in law firm attachment to how it developed my interest in law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.