The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends on each uni I'd imagine.

But generally if you are majorly underachieving, failing to meet deadlines etc, you'll most likely get called in by your course leader or whoever.

There is probably some info in the specific university outlines etc, or on the website.
Reply 2
if you fail more than 4 modules its most likely you will need to repeat the first year without any resits but if you fail everything and you dont attend classes you will be kicked out.
Reply 3
stateman
Just wondering, at which point as in what do you have to do to be kicked out. Say if you failed 1 module, will they kick you out and whats an appeal exactly.

When you give up.
I'm worried about this too. I asked my uni professor what would happen if I failed a module (cos I can just tell I'm going to) and at my uni as long as you have an average for the modules of 40% then they will take you still. But the thing is, if you have to do a resit, the highest you can get is 40%, so it might be hard to get the average of 40% if you fail all your modules :s-smilie:
No offence, but what are people who are failing modules (particularly if you're failing them on a regular basis) actually doing at university? It sounds like a total waste of time. It's not difficult to be mediocre, failure even to reach a mediocre level is slightly pathetic. Why not go and get a job?
Exactly.

I've been reading the student handbook for Brasenose College, and it goes on for pages about what happens if you under-perform. I don't suppose many do. The penalty for illegal drug use is rustication or expulsion too.
Reply 7
Rustication sounds nasty.
I know that I shouldnt be failing modules, but there is just one aspect of my course which I don't understand, no matter how hard I try, and I have tried! To cap it all off, the day before my exam I was so ill I was up the entire night throwing up, and had to leave the exam early to throw up in the toilet. But I guess if you're failing them all, then its obviously not the course for you
Yes, there is no cure (to rustication, that is).
You can get kicked out if you get caught for plagiarism, or if you never turn up for lectures/labs/tutorials or never hand in the set work. You will probably be allowed to resit the year though.

Failing one module shouldn't get you kicked out, especially if you do well in the others and if there is a resit, do well in it.

Your uni will have its own appeal procedures, but you can only do it if there is a proper reason. It's a long, drawn out and quite formal process which most people don't bother going through unless they really have to.
stateman
Just wondering, at which point as in what do you have to do to be kicked out. Say if you failed 1 module, will they kick you out and whats an appeal exactly.

Depends on how serious the department is. Some will kick people out for not turning up to lectures enough without good reasons. If you fail only one unit, you normally can compensate by passing everything else, otherwise you'll have to either leave or retake the year. I don't know if reasons are required to retake a year.
If you fail the resit, you get kicked out.

Also depending on the uni, poor attendance will get you the boot.
Reply 13
linkdapink
I'm worried about this too. I asked my uni professor what would happen if I failed a module (cos I can just tell I'm going to) and at my uni as long as you have an average for the modules of 40% then they will take you still. But the thing is, if you have to do a resit, the highest you can get is 40%, so it might be hard to get the average of 40% if you fail all your modules :s-smilie:

This is exactly the same at my uni, but they told us this in our first lecture (I think they used it as scare tactics!)
Yeah we were told this during induction week!
Reply 15
I think as a general rule unis will vary between those where you have to pass everything @ 40%, and those where you have to average 40%. However most of them will kick you out for plagiarism or something like illegal drug use.
Reply 16
They cant tell if you attend lectures or not though!
Thay can if there is a register to sign, as there is at some universities.
Reply 18
Well yes - but if there's not much contact time / essays to give in then they may not know that you're doing ok. And they get judged on how many students get a 2:1 or better... Better to chuck you out than have you fail :wink:
It's stupid how they can chuck you out for illegal drug use. It's none of their %%%%%%%%ing business.