Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today whilst I was driving to the supermarket, the brake warning light was on continuously.

About half way into my journey going home, the warning light turned off. And after parking my car and starting up the ignition again, the warning light stayed off.

Should I get my car checked for service?

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    Today whilst I was driving to the supermarket, the brake warning light was on continuously.

About half way into my journey going home, the warning light turned off. And after parking my car and starting up the ignition again, the warning light stayed off.

Thanks.
    Which dashboard brake light are you referring to? The handbrake light or ABS?

It probably would be most appropriate to get it checked. Perhaps by the AA though, if you’re covered, because you don’t want to be driving your car with a brake warning light :nope:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks.
    You had a serious warning light and you're questioning whether you should get it checked?! Yes! Of course you should!

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Check brake fluid level, maybe it's low. If it is low, you have to change the brake pads.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
    Check brake fluid level, maybe it's low. If it is low, you have to change the brake pads.
    I'm sorry, what? Pad wear could be a potential cause for the low fluid level (if it is low?), but it's not an absolute - could very well be a leak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    I'm sorry, what? Pad wear could be a potential cause for the low fluid level (if it is low?), but it's not an absolute - could very well be a leak.
    Yes, you are on point! But 90 percent of the time, low fluid is a good indication for brake bads wearing out.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are on point! But 90 percent of the time, low fluid is a good indication for brake bads wearing out.
    The reservoir should be adequately sized to allow for pad wear, and fluid shouldn't be lost anywhere. It's certainly worth checking how much pad remains, but you really want to find out where that fluid has gone. My mum ignored it once and found herself with no brakes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    The reservoir should be adequately sized to allow for pad wear, and fluid shouldn't be lost anywhere. It's certainly worth checking how much pad remains, but you really want to find out where that fluid has gone. My mum ignored it once and found herself with no brakes...
    This is what I wanted to explain! Also brake fluid might leak due to old brake lines or the reservoir itself.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I wanted to explain! Also brake fluid might leak due to old brake lines or the reservoir itself.
    I should have been a bit clearer with my wording. I meant that the reservoir should be large enough that pad wear alone won't set off the low level warning.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.