Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My biggest problem in applying for spring weeks and internships in the future boils down to my grades (went to a very poor secondary school, talking 36% of students getting 5 A-C grade inc. maths and English). Was also the only student to be taking a-level biology and chemistry while ill (do have plenty of evidence) resulting in me retaking A-levels while doing year 1 of a biomedical sciences at UEA (even more ill than I was the previous year). My A-Level grades sit at BBB (300 UCAS points) in biology, chemistry, philosophy and ethics. I've read that SOME banks take on a minimum of 300 UCAS points. However the better parts are:

No longer at UEA but at Manchester studying a different course (semi-target?)
    Work for a risk management firm which works for a variety of banks, inc. Goldman Sachs etc.
    Have a good cv filled with a variety of work experience.
    On the ice hockey team, finance society and learning a new language.

As I'm doing an integrated masters, if I do have a chance, what should I do for this year until I'm allowed to apply for spring weeks in year 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    My biggest problem in applying for spring weeks and internships in the future boils down to my grades (went to a very poor secondary school, talking 36% of students getting 5 A-C grade inc. maths and English). Was also the only student to be taking a-level biology and chemistry while ill (do have plenty of evidence) resulting in me retaking A-levels while doing year 1 of a biomedical sciences at UEA (even more ill than I was the previous year). My A-Level grades sit at BBB (300 UCAS points) in biology, chemistry, philosophy and ethics. I've read that SOME banks take on a minimum of 300 UCAS points. However the better parts are:

Work for a risk management firm which works for a variety of banks, inc. Goldman Sachs etc.

As I'm doing an integrated masters, if I do have a chance, what should I do for this year until I'm allowed to apply for spring weeks in year 2?
    Hey mate, you do have a shot as Manchester is a solid semi-target. Just get yourself to the major networking events that will be happening over the next few months and apply now if you can. Experience is good I would say, but a major problem maybe be the fact you haven't studied A-Level Maths. I know people who have got in with similar grades, but they had solid grades in maths and/or economics. You're best chances are applying to some back-office roles in places where you don't meet the A-Level requirement such as Citi or Credit Suisse.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Think I know you and have messaged you on FB: you've got as much a chance as anyone so definitely apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

your chances are like everyone elses, apply and see what happens

ik people with BBC and ect who work for goldman and the like, so don't let your grades be your barrier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatapanydude)
    Hey mate, you do have a shot as Manchester is a solid semi-target. Just get yourself to the major networking events that will be happening over the next few months and apply now if you can. Experience is good I would say, but a major problem maybe be the fact you haven't studied A-Level Maths. I know people who have got in with similar grades, but they had solid grades in maths and/or economics. You're best chances are applying to some back-office roles in places where you don't meet the A-Level requirement such as Citi or Credit Suisse.
    It's a relief to see that Manchester is a solid semi-target, thank you! I will be attending some events, BrightNetwork, Barlays and JP Morgan meetings to name a few. My new degree is a bit numerical with it being pharmacy so there's a lot of chemistry and physics involved but obviously not as much as if it was a chemistry/physics degree alone.

My two questions are, what should I do anything to make up for the lack of A-Level maths? And at these networking events, what should I do/type of questions to ask the people there? Want to make the most of them! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Think I know you and have messaged you on FB: you've got as much a chance as anyone so definitely apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Caught me out Prince! Messaged you on FB x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozilll)
    your chances are like everyone elses, apply and see what happens

ik people with BBC and ect who work for goldman and the like, so don't let your grades be your barrier
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's a relief to see that Manchester is a solid semi-target, thank you! I will be attending some events, BrightNetwork, Barlays and JP Morgan meetings to name a few. My new degree is a bit numerical with it being pharmacy so there's a lot of chemistry and physics involved but obviously not as much as if it was a chemistry/physics degree alone.

My two questions are, what should I do anything to make up for the lack of A-Level maths? And at these networking events, what should I do/type of questions to ask the people there? Want to make the most of them! Thank you
    so long as you're comfy with gcse level maths you'll be fine

not sure where this notion of a level content relevance is stemming from. addition/subtraction/multiplication/division/powers, and bless the 21st century that we have calculators (or better yet excel)

ReputationRep:
    mainly ask them stuff which will make your interview answers/cover letter more orientated to that bank eg baml does a thing where they get all their worldwide analysts to one spot so they can mingle so that relationships can be built which helps when working on international deals (just made that up)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.