Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Agonisingly painful muscle/nerve pain at night Watch

At night I keep getting woken up by really sharp shooting pains in my, mostly, left calf but sometimes right one. It feels like it might be the muscle or maybe nerves I don't know but it really, really hurts. Like I wake up and try to move my foot and leg to get rid of it but every movement makes it worse. So I hold my leg in my hands and try massaging it but that doesn't help either. I have a very high pain threshold but this hurts like a mother****er, like gritting teeth trying not to cry out in pain. Kind of hard to judge how long it lasts as I'm usually half asleep but maybe no longer than a minute and usually happens around 5 or 6 am.

Anyone know what this might be or how to stop it?

ReputationRep:
    Ta-da.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Try visiting your gp asap and asking them for scan in your legs. I had a similar issue in my knee in july where I felt sharp pains in my knee and once it was there, I couldn't get rid of it and had to just try and move my leg for it to go away. Since your pain is in your calf muscle, it might not be anything serious but it's much better to have it looked at.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At night I keep getting woken up by really sharp shooting pains in my, mostly, left calf but sometimes right one. It feels like it might be the muscle or maybe nerves I don't know but it really, really hurts. Like I wake up and try to move my foot and leg to get rid of it but every movement makes it worse. So I hold my leg in my hands and try massaging it but that doesn't help either. I have a very high pain threshold but this hurts like a mother****er, like gritting teeth trying not to cry out in pain. Kind of hard to judge how long it lasts as I'm usually half asleep but maybe no longer than a minute and usually happens around 5 or 6 am.

Anyone know what this might be or how to stop it?
    Pain that wakes you up is a good reason to see your GP. I suggest you make an appointment.
    You might also like to try gentle stretching and a warm bath before bed along with making sure there's nothing that might strain your legs at night (tight covers, hanging them off the side of the bed etc).

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.