Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure which to go pick for my fifth choice. I'm gonna take Theoretical at Sheffield or Maths/Phys at York.
    Which is better and why?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    yo, What are your other choices?

ReputationRep:
    My other choices are Cambridge (Maths), Warwick (Maths with Physics), Leeds (Theoretical Physics) and Loughborough (Maths with Physics).

ReputationRep:
    Seems weird why you'd apply for a Maths degree at Cambridge instead of trying to do NatSci and only pick Physics options (well, as much as you can). But I'd say Sheffield. Contact hours at York seem extremely low for a Physics degree, and the lecturers apparently are either really good or really bad.

I'm doing a Physics degree at Bristol by the way. I'm happy to see another person who enjoys the subject

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd imagine your ps would be far more suitable for natsci at cambridge. Are you doing chemistry a-level?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer revising for maths over revising for physics.
    For physics, you have to revise many facts, whereas it's more... technique for maths, which I find less stressful. I'm applying for the first year option of Maths with Physics. I honestly am skeptical of if I will get an offer, but I'm gonna try.

What do you think of the locations of the two? Sheffield is a city uni, whereas York is a campus, but I like green spaces and am not a fan of urban jungles, such as London or Manchester (though I do like places where you have old buildings and history, like Cambridge). Despite it being a city uni, I've heard that Sheffield is a very green city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heirio)
    For physics, you have to revise many facts, whereas it's more... technique for maths, which I find less stressful. I'm applying for the first year option of Maths with Physics. I honestly am skeptical of if I will get an offer, but I'm gonna try.

What do you think of the locations of the two? Sheffield is a city uni, whereas York is a campus, but I like green spaces and am not a fan of urban jungles, such as London or Manchester (though I do like places where you have old buildings and history, like Cambridge). Despite it being a city uni, I've heard that Sheffield is a very green city.
    Never been to either mate, though from my uninformed opinion I'd say Sheffield is actually 'greener'. York has a collegiate system (think Oxbridge/Durham-esque but with far less attractive and grand buildings), so that may take your fancy.

Why not apply to St Andrews? Has the same requirements as the two, has an extremely beautiful campus and the scenery is simply beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's too close to the deadline to throw another uni into the mix. I've had Sheffield and York on there for a while.
    Like, I have to apply in a week.

ReputationRep:

Just gonna point out that the tables are pretty much turned for uni maths and physics .

ReputationRep:
    Heh, fair enough. I just prefer maths atm, but wanna study physics later.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I can't choose between applying for theoretical physics or maths and physics at manchester.

ReputationRep:

Sheffield native, can confirm.

ReputationRep:
    would you therefore place it above York?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Yeah I can't choose between applying for theoretical physics or maths and physics at manchester.
    Theoretical physics. All the math you'll be doing will directly relate to physics, whereas if you do Maths and Physics there'll be topics which will have no application. I like to think of physics as applied Maths in that way.

Theoretical physics is ridiculously maths-y anyway - heck, straight physics is too.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's too close to the deadline to throw another uni into the mix. I've had Sheffield and York on there for a while.
    Like, I have to apply in a week.
    You don't have to make all of your UCAS choices at the same time. You could initially submit your application with the four that you are sure about, and then add your fifth choice once you've had a chance to think about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.