The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James.Carnell
I agree, but I think its the white Brits you are describing. They tend to have a disapproving look they give to anyone that is not white. But of course its un-pc to call that out because they're such special snowflakes.

Yeah exactly, even the comments on this are so pc
They might not even be racist, they are just very insular.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah exactly, even the comments on this are so pc

You're coming across as a victim. Maybe it's the fact you're a stranger? Maybe you just have a nasty personality? There is a multitude of reasons why people wouldn't want to talk to you - race is probably far down the list.
Never knew British was a race.

Seems petty to say but when I went to Starbucks, the guy didn't even ask for my name to put on the cup. Ok you may not be able to spell it but atleast ask?

Here's another British foible for you: I hate people in Starbucks asking for my name. You don't need to know my name. I'm trying to order a coffee, not become your buddy.
Let me address this point by point...

I'm a British Indian but I feel like people ignore me here or look down on my because I'm not extroverted.

Welcome to the world of introverts. You don't talk much, you're not a very social person, people think you're weird. This isn't out of the norm, I speak from experience as a white Brit.

It seems they just like hanging out with their own race which sucks because I go to a uni with a very high majority of white persons.

Surprise surprise. White people have a lot of white friends and mainly hang out with white people in a university which is made up of a "very high majority of white persons". I mean, do I need to explain this? Of course white people are going to hang around with white people, we're the majority, it's kinda hard to get away from white people...

In Asian countries, people are so much more friendly. Will talk to you if you're standing in a queue or something and just overall have a better atmosphere.

Welcome to Britain... With the exception of the more working class areas of the country, this is pretty normal and one of our stereotypical behaviours... We're known for being a country of people who like to keep to ourselves... This isn't racism as you're insinuating. This is just Brits being Brits.

People just seem to be more willing to talk to white people and it's pretty sad because I feel so left out because just give me a chance. It's not like I don't try to talk: I do but people never return the effort. It's just hi, how are you one time then I never talk to them again, even if I bump into them in the street they just pretend I'm not there. When I go out with few people I've just been tagging along with, people give full attention to them and not me. I'm just there in the shadows.

You know that whole shtick about introverts I mentioned earlier? That... You say you put effort in and don't get it returned... Just saying hi how are you isn't exactly much effort, nor is it going to magically make someone your friend.

As for bumping into them on the street "pretending" you aren't there? What makes you say that? Did you say anything to them? What if they didn't hear you?

As for the attention to others and not you... Again, welcome to the world of being an introvert.

When I go to lectures, people will purposely sit in a different row even if there are more convenient better seats in my row.

What makes you think these specific seats are more convenient? Have you considered that they may just simply want to sit next to other people they know, and they're adhering to an unofficial seating plan (the idea here is that people don't like change, if people sit in any seat they want on the first lesson, chances are, they'll tend to stay sitting in that spot for future lessons)?

Also it seems people also ignore the ugly people and will overall make less effort to interact with someone who isn't good looking. Maybe it's just me but certainly seems that way and I have noticed this a lot

But ugliness is in the eye of the beholder... Ugly or unattractive to one person, is attractive to another...

Seems petty to say but when I went to Starbucks, the guy didn't even ask for my name to put on the cup. Ok you may not be able to spell it but atleast ask?

Seems a bit odd, sounds like it's a one off thing, could've simply forgot. If it was a reoccurring thing, then sure, this'd probably the only realistic point you've made.

British people are just unapproachable, buried either in their phones or in headphones yet they pride themselves on being the friendly nation.

EVeryone lives such a sheltered solitary life it's depressing.

Welcome to 21st century Western Civilisation. Also, I believe the whole nice Brits is a stereotype the rest of the world holds towards us... I'd say most Brits know they aren't near as nice as we're made out to be. We're sarcastic gits, we say sorry far more than we actually mean it, we might not openly call people out, but inside we're judging them intensely, occasionally giving an audible hit by tutting.

Also, I'll address my biggest issue with this post. How dare you even so much as imply every single white Brit is being racist, which, in itself, is racist, you dirty hypocrite.

These problems, maybe with the exception of the Starbucks incident, assuming it wasn't just a one off mistake, have literally nothing to do with your race. You can have lunch on your own while people have a good time near you and don't bother you? So can I. If people don't know you, they don't tend to bother you unless they need to.

Making friends with complete strangers is a funny little thing... No one wants to talk to strangers, but sometimes we just come across people we click with after talking to them for a bit. You best bet is doing it in an environment where you're going to be talking to people. I can't say I've ever made a friend just randomly out on the street without us having a mutual friend. They all come from places where you tend to interact with/help other people, be it work, the cashier at your local corner shop or out at a club having a good time.

Have you considered that it may be your personality that puts people off, or the way you present yourself? Maybe you don't give off the approachable vibe that some people do... And no, black skin doesn't instantly make you unapproachable.
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
Point 1: British isn't a race. You can be British and be black, white etc.

Point 2: All of this is anecdotal evidence, which means nothing. My experience has been the polar opposite of yours. White British people (which I assume you refer to when you mean British) have been some of the friendliest people to me, and a lot of my best friends are white. In my (anecdotal) perception, I've found that international students are unapproachable and only hang around with their own cultures etc. But it'd be wrong for me to generalise because of that.

It seems your own insecurities are shining through this post. You're making minor incidences seem larger than it actually is.

think he means white people, but in being politically correct called us British lol
the thing is people won't understand this issue because they don't have any other cultures to compare the situation to. I am merely pointing out what I have noticed in my own circumstances.
I'm a British Indian but I feel like people ignore me here or look down on my because I'm not extroverted. It seems they just like hanging out with their own race which sucks because I go to a uni with a very high majority of white persons.

In Asian countries, people are so much more friendly. Will talk to you if you're standing in a queue or something and just overall have a better atmosphere.

People just seem to be more willing to talk to white people and it's pretty sad because I feel so left out because just give me a chance. It's not like I don't try to talk: I do but people never return the effort. It's just hi, how are you one time then I never talk to them again, even if I bump into them in the street they just pretend I'm not there.
When I go out with few people I've just been tagging along with, people give full attention to them and not me. I'm just there in the shadows.

When I go to lectures, people will purposely sit in a different row even if there are more convenient better seats in my row.

Also it seems people also ignore the ugly people and will overall make less effort to interact with someone who isn't good looking. Maybe it's just me but certainly seems that way and I have noticed this a lot

British people are just unapproachable, buried either in their phones or in headphones yet they pride themselves on being the friendly nation.

EVeryone lives such a sheltered solitary life it's depressing.
Before I say anything, I want to be clear on one thing: which one is it?
A lot of White people are getting offended by this, but I'm White and not offended so I'll bite because I think there is something to this.

British culture retains a certain mentality from the Victorian era based which exemplifies stoicism in contrast to Romantic cultures which are less repressed. To really strike up a rapport with White British people you have to ''White face'' and by this I mean you have to be reserved and witty, sniping people down with sarcastic quips and understating everything bad to show how unfazed you are by every which one of the road bumps which appear on your journey of life.
the thing is people won't understand this issue because they don't have any other cultures to compare the situation to. I am merely pointing out what I have noticed in my own circumstances.

I get what you mean mate, I was the only black one at my school and the people had NEVER been exposed to black people before.

I got really horrible questions, dirty looks, got disgusting letters put in my locker, and yada yada, but eventually even with my introverted self, I made a couple of friends just from having a Rick and Morty key ring on my locker keys.

I guess people naturally flock to those of their own race. You just have to be in the right place at the right time with somat in common.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Izzy2016
Agreed, which is why they voted Brexit. They dislike non-white people.

Oh f*ck off, we voted to leave because we didn't want a greater influx of immigrants who would undoubtedly lead to the collapse of our society; take a look at what's happening to Germany and Sweden.

This is not about race.
I don't think it's a colour issue. I'm white but not of British ancestry and had such a hard time making friends with white British people at university. It was pretty much like you describe. I've been to many countries and British people are by far the least friendly.

I feel you.
I am now preparing for uni in uk(and im from asia) but where I want to live is Germany and US. Thought studying my majors in english will bring me more opportunities, I chose to go uni in UK. things bothering me most is un-apporachable british culture other than loads of work to enter unis. I really do not like british culture. I feel like they are not showing themselves deep in their mind (compared to other europe countries)
I am studying a levels now, i am just gonna go uni here and never going to live here longer for any other occasions other than going to uni
I think it's just London
I feel you.
I am now preparing for uni in uk(and im from asia) but where I want to live is Germany and US. Thought studying my majors in english will bring me more opportunities, I chose to go uni in UK. things bothering me most is un-apporachable british culture other than loads of work to enter unis. I really do not like british culture. I feel like they are not showing themselves deep in their mind (compared to other europe countries)
I am studying a levels now, i am just gonna go uni here and never going to live here longer for any other occasions other than going to uni

I think it's just London

This thread is over 2 years old

Latest

Trending

Trending