The Student Room Group

Is the Distance Learning Centre legitimate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MrsR17
Could I ask please how long you get to complete each assignment with the distance learning centre?

You can see my comments above.

I spent:

3 Credit Unit - 20 hours
6 Credit Unit - 30 hours.
Reply 41
Thank you so much for your reply. I’m assuming once you start an assignment you’re not time limited? I was worried that I will start an assignment and be expected to do 20hours of work in a week for example. Or have a really tight deadline to complete it? Thanks.
Reply 42
Original post by MrsR17
Thank you so much for your reply. I’m assuming once you start an assignment you’re not time limited? I was worried that I will start an assignment and be expected to do 20hours of work in a week for example. Or have a really tight deadline to complete it? Thanks.

You are time-limited by the academic year. I believe if you want to be certified this year, you'll need to have completed your study by the end of May. I think they charge you for going into the next academic year. All of this will need to be clarified with DLC as it may have changed. This is why most people start in August/Sept etc/
Original post by December126
https://www.distance-learning-centre.co.uk/
Anyone used this distance learning website before?
I just want to make 100% sure it's completely legitimate before I apply and pay for it.

@December126
If you are ever in doubt about any provider or qualification, you can do a search on the Ofqual website https://register.ofqual.gov.uk/ to see if they are registered

A registered provider will have a reference number/code (I forget what the technical name for this is), you could always ask them for this in an email

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Yes they are. Finished my access course with them in May 2020. In September I was already going to my first choice Uni. As a mature student. I cannot recommend them enough.
You will pay in instalements, set yourself a goal as how long do you want to take do finish. I did it in 9 months. I also got half of my fees back last year as I won their achievement award. Doesn’t it sound great?
If you start your access course now, you can only apply for 2022 intake, you need minimum 6 months for the course and it’s too late for June moderation. PM me if you have any more questions👍
Hi,2 years down the kind and I'm reading your comment. Did you do an access to nursing and did you decide to go with distance learning?Thanks
Hi, I did Allied Health Pathway - Biology and Psychology. It got me into Dental Therapy and Hygiene, with no A-levels but a dental nurse certificate and GCSE equivalent from long time ago.
I was really happy with distancelearning.com. Was even given half my fees back for my achievement.
Thankyou for getting back to me!

Congratulations on getting into Dental Therapy :smile: I'm glad to hear that you were pleased with the outcome of the distance learning course and that they reimbursed half of the course fees!

I've emailed them today for some information ect. I will have to study maths GCSE again alongside the course so fingers crossed all will go well if I decide upon this path.

Good luck with your career :smile:
Thank you very much for your kind thoughts, I wish you all the best and keep your head up, you can do this!! I know students who have done GCSE alongside Access. You will have a supportive student network on their Facebook group. They forbid the watsapp groups as some students were sharing too much info. But you won’t need it no worry, don’t compromise your certificate.
If you will do anything regarding Biology, like nursing, I recommend watching Wendy Riggs on youtube. My uni tutor just tipped us on her funny yet amazing videos. She is a college teacher.
I remember the access assessments and I swear she could’ve helped if only I knew then..

The best of luck to you :wink:))
One more thing: make sure you talk to the unis you will apply to, they all have different entry requirements. Maybe you don’t need maths
Thanks for the recommendations and further advice! :smile: The only thing really holding me back at the moment is that I have 2 children under the age of 3 😂 they do take up alot of my time and I'm about to return to part time work! I'm eager to start the access course but I also don't want to pay out and then struggle to complete assignments.:frown:. Then I also don't want to be waiting around for years. Its something I need to really work out!

But honestly thankyou once again ☺️ and I shall definitely start asking some unis for advice too
Happy to help 😊😊😊, I finished my access in 9 months, writing/reading about 2hrs every evening. I am a mother too so I kind of understand the difficulties. You can take anything from 6 months to max 2 years to do the course. They will ask you to decide before they set up the monthly payments, as this influences how the fees are spread over your course.
Whatever you decide, I wish you a great deal of courage and determination! You can do it, even if you have to crawl, don’t let go of your dreams. The proudest person in my life is my son, I think he’s prouder than me that I made it into uni later in life😅😅, so you can inspire your kids for the future, good luck!!
That is pretty good 2hrs every evening and It's nice to hear stories from people that have been in a similar boat! 🙂 I'm currently discussing entry requirements with my local university as they accept applicants who have degrees in any subject, l2 maths but you have to demonstrate 6 months work of supporting adults in care. So I may take that route 🙂 thanks for all your advice 🥰
Original post by DCDCo
Hey!

Now, let me preface what I'm about to say by saying - I am currently enrolled with DLC and am studying an Access Course. So, here we go!

When I was looking to complete an Access to HE Course through a "distance" route, I too was presented with all your anxieties about "is this place trustworthy?" "is the material good" "is it all fake?" and the like. I spent a lot of time doing research and taking in peoples comments.

If you embark on a little research, you will find quite a few mixed reviews. You will see a number of people complaining that they felt they didn't get any support, didn't understand questions, material provided was poor etc. You will also find people saying that they have had a great experience, the platform was easy to use and their tutors were great! Someone I think posted a youtube video of a review that they did and for me, it was spot on. I'll explain my experience so far..

Signing up - easy. You fill out a form, pay your joining fees and then arrange for the first months payment. Email response is very very quick from the team that set it all up and it was a very smooth process.

The content provided so far has been good. There are small grammatical errors and sometimes you can view it and think.. "why have they got this awful stock image here" but actually, the material provided is only part of the study. Study is of course about your own research and I have been provided with details and resources to complete that.

My tutor has been absolutely brilliant. They have answered questions promptly and with detail and so far have given some very detailed feedback about work that I have submitted. This for me has actually been the best part of it. I feel I am getting a better service than I would at college believe it or not!

Overall - yes, It is legitimate. I would recommend it however - make sure you do your research on other providers and decide what is best for you!

D

hi did you do access course option 3 ?
Reply 55
Original post by Alia62737
hi did you do access course option 3 ?

I did Access to Law - as far as I am aware there are only two options. I completed Option 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending