Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Running a red light but had a green arrow?? Watch

So today I was driving in town and got to a junction and there was a green light with an arrow going forward but I was indicating to go left and someone starting beeping at me so I was like **** and went but I'm not sure if I've ****ed it or not because I panicked and assumed it had changed (big mistake I know but before anyone's like you shouldn't be driving no one can say they've not made mistakes and this will be mine, lesson learned tho don't let cars beeping like **** at you distract you) am I gonna get prosecuted if it was because I went left
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So today I was driving in town and got to a junction and there was a green light with an arrow going forward but I was indicating to go left and someone starting beeping at me so I was like **** and went but I'm not sure if I've ****ed it or not because I panicked and assumed it had changed (big mistake I know but before anyone's like you shouldn't be driving no one can say they've not made mistakes and this will be mine, lesson learned tho don't let cars beeping like **** at you distract you) am I gonna get prosecuted if it was because I went left
    Hi there!

This thread should be in Cars and motoring. I’ll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

ReputationRep:
    If you turned left while the green arrow was for straight ahead then you're in the wrong. As to what could happen next, that would depend on what evidence is available from cameras etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Can you show me the lights from Streetview? It's hard to visualise without an image to go on.

ReputationRep:
    This wouldn't happen to be the oh so famous A660 - B6157 junction in Leeds would it?

If, like this junction, the ahead lane is also a left turn lane, I'd assume you're perfectly fine to turn left. If Those going ahead have a filter, that means there's nothing to conflict with them, and by extension, nothing to conflict with left turners. Nor would it make sense to have a filter light for those going ahead, but having left turners using the same lane and holding everyone up.

If left turners have their own dedicated lane, I'd assume you wait for the green, if those going ahead can go, but those going left can't, I'd make the assumption that there's a crossing that'd conflict with left turning traffic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.