Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just want to get some advice really.

I am currently 24, made unemployed about three months ago. I am struggling to get a new job but have a few interviews lined up, although up to this point I have pretty much hated every job I have done once the novelty of it wore off?
    My only jobs have been in customer services which, to be honest, I don't get any thrill off at all.

I was thinking about potentially going to university or college and continue where I left off from sixth form. Looking back when I left sixth form at that point I really did not know what to do at all course wise so did not go uni at the time. I also lacked a lot of self-belief and self-confidence and still do to tell you the truth.

I am interested in getting into a career where I can help people maybe in the health sector and I am thinking of studying physiology or a type of physiology, as it looks like a really exciting course and the potential of what I could go into excites me, although I do not have a science A level or BTEC science, to tell you the truth I don't remember much from school or sixth form at all. Money doesn't really motivate me much as a person but to help someone gives me a great feeling.

On top of this two years ago, I split up with my first long-term girlfriend and I have seen a few people since but its just never felt the same with anyone else and I just feel really stuck in life where relationships are concerned. I think my last long-term girlfriend could sense my own uncertainty in life and the lack of security in my choices. And my friends are all settled down which makes meeting new people a little harder.

To summarise, I feel so behind in life or should I say I feel really lost with no guarantees for the future or any set plan. Especially when my friends have all mostly graduated or have found settled jobs and have really good relationships, I guess I feel lonely or left out. I was thinking of going travelling for a few months but don't have anyone to go with?

Can anyone lend a word of advice or has felt a similar feeling as I feel like I am going crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim00)

I am currently 24, made unemployed about three months ago. I am struggling to get a new job but have a few interviews lined up, although up to this point I have pretty much hated every job I have done once the novelty of it wore off?
    My only jobs have been in customer services which, to be honest, I don't get any thrill off at all.

I was thinking about potentially going to university or college and continue where I left off from sixth form. Looking back when I left sixth form at that point I really did not know what to do at all course wise so did not go uni at the time. I also lacked a lot of self-belief and self-confidence and still do to tell you the truth.

I am interested in getting into a career where I can help people maybe in the health sector and I am thinking of studying physiology or a type of physiology, as it looks like a really exciting course and the potential of what I could go into excites me, although I do not have a science A level or BTEC science, to tell you the truth I don't remember much from school or sixth form at all. Money doesn't really motivate me much as a person but to help someone gives me a great feeling.

On top of this two years ago, I split up with my first long-term girlfriend and I have seen a few people since but its just never felt the same with anyone else and I just feel really stuck in life where relationships are concerned. I think my last long-term girlfriend could sense my own uncertainty in life and the lack of security in my choices. And my friends are all settled down which makes meeting new people a little harder.

To summarise, I feel so behind in life or should I say I feel really lost with no guarantees for the future or any set plan. Especially when my friends have all mostly graduated or have found settled jobs and have really good relationships, I guess I feel lonely or left out. I was thinking of going travelling for a few months but don't have anyone to go with?

Can anyone lend a word of advice or has felt a similar feeling as I feel like I am going crazy.
    Figure out what career you would like to do, look at what you need to do to get there (ie access course then degree, apprenticeship etc) then find a way to do it (money may be an issue, if it is focus on getting a job and saving and keep in mind when doing the job that its a means to an end)

I wouldnt suggest going travelling if what you are looking for is to start a career, as it wont put you any closer to your goal. Also plenty of people go travelling alone, you tend to meet a lot of people on the way that are friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim00)

I defo have similar feelings!

I put my answer in these two videos.

MAIN ONE: https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks
    SECONDARY ONE: https://youtu.be/JaQFHiVKKzg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim00)

I am currently 24, unemployed.

Hah! What a perfect place to be in life! You. Have. Options. I'd you like helping people them maybe you should volunteer or go on a kibbutz in Israel. Travel is agreat idea but really thou need a life plan. In your place I'd do many things and girlfriends would not feature because they are a massive distraction. Create a 5 year plan of what you really want to achieve. Set out a step by step set of goals to achieve that dream and while you're at it, write down what you expect in a wife. Relationships had either to marriage or heartbreak. Figure out which will help you achieve your life goals and allow for that in your plan.

Visit Zimbabwe and Zambia. That's when you realise what opportunities you have. BMAT used to do volunteer work there.

When you get back from your trip, get stuck into a college. Nothing wrong with doing any HND in something but wasting 3 years on a hard degree course is time you can't afford. After working for a bit you may discover that the construction industry is really great fun and that doing abuilding surveying course is more interesting than you ever knew... then you might be able to do a masters degree in building demolition. Wolverhampton university is the only place in the world to offer it.

Learn a new language like Spanish or German. It opens up doors in business. The ladies love a multilingual guy. Hell! I soeak 3 languages and women find my accent... sexy. I'm 45. Married 16 years. I got it wrong in the first 30 years so now I know what I should have done. You remind me of myself 20 years ago.
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.