Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How "basic" is the basic maths (trigonometry, geometry, etc) needed for architecture ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varlene)
    How "basic" is the basic maths (trigonometry, geometry, etc) needed for architecture ?
    Hi Varlene,

Depending on the university and course you are looking into the requirements will be different. If you are looking into a more design based architecture course math may not be needed. I recommend checking out the different courses and their requirements. If you are looking more into the design courses than they will look at your portfolio before offering you a place. It would be a good idea if your portfolio shows your passion as well as your experimental and technical skills. You should show your whole design process from research to concept development to the final piece. At Ravensbourne we offer portfolio workshopsyou can attend for free, for help with your portfolio as well as getting interview tips.

We are located in Greenwich Peninsula, London and are a design and media based institution. Our open space plan offers students the chance to work in a collaborative environment. You will be able to work with other students on different courses to help you develop your skills and projects.

You should check out our BA Architecturecourse. Our students go on various trips, are taught by industry professionals and work with industry on live briefs as well as collaborative work. If you are in the area I would suggest coming to an open day to meet the tutors and get a better understanding of the course.

If you have any questions feel free to ask,

Row

ReputationRep:
    Very basic on most courses. If you have a C in GCSE maths you're more than over-qualified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    Very basic on most courses. If you have a C in GCSE maths you're more than over-qualified.
    I got B in math GCSE, but I'll be taking AS and A level maths (Pure maths and Statistics), so I'm wondering if any of the topics I learn right now will be a part of architecture, so I'd focus more on that certain topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varlene)
    I got B in math GCSE, but I'll be taking AS and A level maths (Pure maths and Statistics), so I'm wondering if any of the topics I learn right now will be a part of architecture, so I'd focus more on that certain topic.
    Does depend a little bit on the type of unit within a given course you choose to do, and of course how you choose to design your project.

In 99% of cases A-Level maths will not be applicable at all. If you get into parametric architecture, then having an understanding of maths may help you understand what is going on more, but is not needed at all as the computer does all the calculation and algorithms anyway.

The only situation where A-Level maths might really be applicable would be if you chose to have your project informed by some complicated mathematical model or concept, that for some obscure reason could not be modeled purely with a computer. Chances are your tutor would discourage that though, as it would be over their head, let alone anybody else who might be marking it or looking at it.

A-level physics or M1 (mechanics) maths (assuming the modules are the same as when I did them years ago), will be useful, but only in concept, as in, having an understanding of things like moments is useful, but you don't actually need to know how to calculate them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.