Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Urgent help for A-Levels Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, let me just start off by saying I want to do Architecture as a degree.
    Secondly I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm just deciding what A-Levels I'd be willing to do.

So far I want to do Geography and Art, but o hear a lot and read a lot that Art is a horrible A-Level which is very time consuming to make up for how initially minimal the work is.
    Is this true and if it is or isn't please be free to give me some feedback on this

Let the record state I have no intention in taking Maths for A-Level. I despise it with every fibre of my being. But mostly just the algebra part of it, so probably not every fibre of my being.

As for a third a level I'm torn between the three:
    -Physics
    -English Lit
    -History

I understand physics would be the most beneficial so that is why it is at my top at the moment but considering the fact that a lot of it is rearranging equations and having to remember crazy amounts of formula I am sort of backing of it for the time being.

Finally, if you think Art isn't worth a spot on A-Levels what other A-Level should I take.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to do architecture but ended up changing my mind but I've been to open days and I know the application process. I do biology, chemistry and art and you NEED TO DO ART!! Many universities ask for it and it will do you a lot of favours. Art is more important than physics to universities right now. You will need to send in a portfolio of work and unless you do art as an A level, you won't have the time to produce work to the standard you want to send in. Also, if you want the grades required for it, you'll need to put in just as much time in each A level as you do art. A levels is unbelievably time consuming and I find I spend more time revising and studying out of class than in. Art is a lot of work but that's because it's an A level, not because it's art. Other than that, physics would probably be best but I say just do the ones you enjoy. I can only think of 1 uni that requires physics for their course and that's Bath. Enjoy your A levels because you're going to be spending all of the next 2 years on those subjects so don't do one you'll hate. Art is my favourite A level and there's nothing horrible about it in my opinion. Good luck!! Don't worry too much! And if you're still worried, go onto the ucas website and type in the course you want to do (code K100) and under 'entry requirements' it will tell you more.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionn273)
    I was going to do architecture but ended up changing my mind but I've been to open days and I know the application process. I do biology, chemistry and art and you NEED TO DO ART!! Many universities ask for it and it will do you a lot of favours. Art is more important than physics to universities right now. You will need to send in a portfolio of work and unless you do art as an A level, you won't have the time to produce work to the standard you want to send in. Also, if you want the grades required for it, you'll need to put in just as much time in each A level as you do art. A levels is unbelievably time consuming and I find I spend more time revising and studying out of class than in. Art is a lot of work but that's because it's an A level, not because it's art. Other than that, physics would probably be best but I say just do the ones you enjoy. I can only think of 1 uni that requires physics for their course and that's Bath. Enjoy your A levels because you're going to be spending all of the next 2 years on those subjects so don't do one you'll hate. Art is my favourite A level and there's nothing horrible about it in my opinion. Good luck!! Don't worry too much! And if you're still worried, go onto the ucas website and type in the course you want to do (code K100) and under 'entry requirements' it will tell you more.
    Thanks so much! You've been so helpful
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneiropólos)
    Hi, let me just start off by saying I want to do Architecture as a degree.
    Secondly I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm just deciding what A-Levels I'd be willing to do.

So far I want to do Geography and Art, but o hear a lot and read a lot that Art is a horrible A-Level which is very time consuming to make up for how initially minimal the work is.
    Is this true and if it is or isn't please be free to give me some feedback on this

Let the record state I have no intention in taking Maths for A-Level. I despise it with every fibre of my being. But mostly just the algebra part of it, so probably not every fibre of my being.

As for a third a level I'm torn between the three:
    -Physics
    -English Lit
    -History

I understand physics would be the most beneficial so that is why it is at my top at the moment but considering the fact that a lot of it is rearranging equations and having to remember crazy amounts of formula I am sort of backing of it for the time being.

Finally, if you think Art isn't worth a spot on A-Levels what other A-Level should I take.
    Hey Oneiropólos,

I suggest keeping art because it will help you with the interview and portfolio part of the application process. Depending on the course the requirements will be different but most universities want to see your portfolio. If you are interested in a more design based architecture course than you might not even need physics. I recommend checking out the different courses and their requirements.

Your portfolio should show your passion as well as your experimental and technical skills. You should show your whole design process from research to concept development to the final piece. At Ravensbourne we offer portfolio workshops you can attend for free. You will get feedback and interview tips. You should also check out our BA Architecture course. Our students go on various trips, are taught by industry professionals and work with industry on live briefs as well as collaborative work.

We are located in Greenwich Peninsula, London and are a design and media based institution. Our open space plan offers students the chance to work in a collaborative environment. You will be able to work with other students on different courses to help you develop your skills and projects. If you are in the area I would suggest coming to an open day to meet the tutors and get a better understanding of the course.

I suggest picking A-Levels that will help you build on your skills and courses that you enjoy doing. I hope you have a great two years at Sixth Form.

If you have any questions feel free to ask,

Row

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)
    Hey Oneiropólos,

I suggest keeping art because it will help you with the interview and portfolio part of the application process. Depending on the course the requirements will be different but most universities want to see your portfolio. If you are interested in a more design based architecture course than you might not even need physics. I recommend checking out the different courses and their requirements.

Your portfolio should show your passion as well as your experimental and technical skills. You should show your whole design process from research to concept development to the final piece. At Ravensbournewe offer portfolio workshopsyou can attend for free. You will get feedback and interview tips. You should also check out our BA Architecturecourse. Our students go on various trips, are taught by industry professionals and work with industry on live briefs as well as collaborative work.

We are located in Greenwich Peninsula, London and are a design and media based institution. Our open space plan offers students the chance to work in a collaborative environment. You will be able to work with other students on different courses to help you develop your skills and projects. If you are in the area I would suggest coming to an open day to meet the tutors and get a better understanding of the course.

I suggest picking A-Levels that will help you build on your skills and courses that you enjoy doing. I hope you have a great two years at Sixth Form.

If you have any questions feel free to ask,

Row
    Thanks so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.