The Student Room Group

Medicine without Maths?

With everyones vast knowledge and experience with UCAS procedures, courses, uni's etc, I'd like to ask if it is common to find med schools accepting students with no Maths at AS or Alevel? I've done some research, and many uni's dont say explicitly they require maths, but I have a feeling that If I dont do maths, Im going to be disadvantaged when it comes to applying to UNi. What does everybody think? Would it be wise to take Maths, to be on the safe side? As things stand Im taking Biology,Chemistry,Geography, German (+General studies). And I would be willing to drop either Geography or German. Please tell me what you think. Appreciate all replies!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think your choice of biology, chemistry, German and geography is actually very good. Biology and chemistry at full A level is enough to satisfy most medical schools and you've got a social science/humanities and a language. It's a good combination. Besides maths is hard so do something you've a good chance of getting at least a B for. What did you get for your GCSEs? (may give a better indication of what you're better suited for)
Reply 2
chemistry involves alot of maths anyway. and most universities have a requirement of two sciences anyway.
Check the ones you are interested because im sure i came across a requirement of three sciences somewhere...dont quote me on it tho.
Reply 3
I got 8A's,2A* and a B for my GCSES. Maths is very hard I know, It is a huge step up. But I dont want to feel regret you know in a years time,at having not picked Maths. Would it be better to just take Maths?
Reply 4
jamal1425
I got 8A's,2A* and a B for my GCSES. Maths is very hard I know, It is a huge step up. But I dont want to feel regret you know in a years time,at having not picked Maths. Would it be better to just take Maths?

With all this C1, C2 drivel coming up, it won't be huge step up.
Reply 5
Tazzie
chemistry involves alot of maths anyway. and most universities have a requirement of two sciences anyway.
Check the ones you are interested because im sure i came across a requirement of three sciences somewhere...dont quote me on it tho.

Ive found out that Queen Mary are fine with even a non-science subject as your third A-level. Kings is somewhat ambiguous, what does eeverybody make of this: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp05/qualifications.php?getid=85

Compulsory subjects : Chemistry and Biology, at least one at A level. If offered at AS level only, must be grade B. If Maths and Further Maths is offered, only one will be counted. GCSE requirement: grade B at English and Maths, if not offered at A/AS level.

Do you think they mean they want Maths?

And Imperial say they want
"Three A2 elevels, inc chem or biology, and one science or mathematics subject." - So i think they would be okay with my current choices?

And finally UCL seem content with jsut Bio and Chem aswell.

The thing that bothers me most,is that a cousin of mine who studied Pharmacology has got me worried. He was saying how Im going to have a "mathematical disadvantage" when it coems to applying next year if i dont take maths. I got A at GCSE, but that doesnt help at all, AS and A2 math is comepletely different.
Reply 6
With all this C1, C2 drivel coming up, it won't be huge step up.

yeh...as u mentioned it...is it for all the examining boards that this change is taking place in...and which examining boards are starting this september???
i think ocr mei is one of them...but is ocr also taking part??
Reply 7
Tazzie
yeh...as u mentioned it...is it for all the examining boards that this change is taking place in...and which examining boards are starting this september???
i think ocr mei is one of them...but is ocr also taking part??

I am sure OCR is changing, I think it is a general directive, ie all boards have to change by order of the QCA. If I am mistaken please correct me.
Reply 8
jamal1425
He was saying how Im going to have a "mathematical disadvantage" when it coems to applying next year if i dont take maths. I got A at GCSE, but that doesnt help at all, AS and A2 math is comepletely different.

Well the medics do have an exam in Statistics in their first year, and it may well be good having at least S1, S2 in your bag.
I am sure OCR is changing, I think it is a general directive, ie all boards have to change by order of the QCA. If I am mistaken please correct me.

You're right, Edexcel and AQA have to do the same, but at least where I'm concerned, those who started the old syllabus just finish it with that syllabus.
Reply 10
I know there is one university where you can do medicine with all art A levels, but I don't know which one it is
Reply 11
Well the medics do have an exam in Statistics in their first year, and it may well be good having at least S1, S2 in your bag.

So go for Maths???? What would everyone do in my situation?
Reply 12
jamal1425
I've done some research, and many uni's dont say explicitly they require maths, but I have a feeling that If I dont do maths, Im going to be disadvantaged when it comes to applying to UNi. What does everybody think? Would it be wise to take Maths, to be on the safe side?

well, to be honest, i think the majority of medical students have done maths.

BUT, i didn't & have just fairly successfully passed my first year & got 3 offers, including Imperial (& a rejection from a uni where i think it was the emphasis of my PS rather than subjects that they probably didn't like!)

so Maths is by no means essential. It probably depends why you're not doing it.. I had a fairly strong GCSE background (2A*s in Maths & Statistics) & my 6th form tried to sell FM to me.. :eek: but i just found maths & the taster class i went to totally dull. i would have lost the will to live.

if you did well in GCSE maths & just genuinely prefer other subjects then i wouldn't worry.. as long as you have full A levels in Biology & Chemistry, the only medical school i can think off from the top of my head that you might not meet the requirements for is Cambridge.

With regards as to how important Maths is - we've had one statistics module (that required a few exercises, NOT an exam.. though there is always one number Q in our exams), but TBH, it wasn't that challenging & if anything the mathmatical geni tied themselves in knots overcomplicating things! proficiency in maths is always useful though.. & i have had to finally have the 'log' thing explained to me.. :tongue:

HTH
Reply 13
jamal1425
Ive found out that Queen Mary are fine with even a non-science subject as your third A-level. Kings is somewhat ambiguous, what does eeverybody make of this: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp05/qualifications.php?getid=85

Do you think they mean they want Maths?

No, they mean if you do maths and further maths, they will only count one of them. IE you cannot submit maths and further maths as 2 A2s; you can only submit one of those.

To be honest, if you think you are decent at maths (if you enjoyed GCSE maths, got an A or higher) and you enjoy maths then go for it! Im sure you'll be fine, judging by your GCSE results. Be prepared to work hard; I had to do a lot of practicing for AS maths heh.. but that's only because I'm not naturally good at it. Look through a few more medical school prospectuses/websites though.
Reply 14
I'm looking to do Medicine at Notts, Imperial or Cambridge. I haven't completely decided yet though. From what I read on the Imperial website, it seems that you might have to do Maths (to AS level), plus two other sciences. I just started lower sixth today, and had my first maths lesson. It suddenly hit me that I have to do another whole year of maths now! After GCSEs I said- "That's it. No more maths for me, ever again!" Then today I suddenly found myself in that classroom, and it was a horrible thought. Why o why did I have to go change from doing to French to Maths?!

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Art and Maths (to AS)- just to be on the safe side.
Reply 15
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have more or less decided, and Im not going to be taking Maths. Truth is I wouldnt really be that keen on maths, I never liked it. But after researching 'most' Med schools, it seems that they dont really demand Maths as such. And to Elles, you were right about Cambridge, they are among the few who demand three A2's from Bio, Chem, Phys and Maths.

I would prefer to study close to home, so I think if everything goes to plan, Ill be applying Kings, Queen Mary, UCL and they're not that picky about Maths. As for Imperial, the website only says under "Subjects and Grades Required" , that only Biology and Chemistry are compulsory.

Thanks again for everyone's help. If there was a "group Rep" function I'd give one :smile:.
Reply 16
jamal1425
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have more or less decided, and Im not going to be taking Maths. Truth is I wouldnt really be that keen on maths, I never liked it. But after researching 'most' Med schools, it seems that they dont really demand Maths as such. And to Elles, you were right about Cambridge, they are among the few who demand three A2's from Bio, Chem, Phys and Maths.

I would prefer to study close to home, so I think if everything goes to plan, Ill be applying Kings, Queen Mary, UCL and they're not that picky about Maths. As for Imperial, the website only says under "Subjects and Grades Required" , that only Biology and Chemistry are compulsory.

Thanks again for everyone's help. If there was a "group Rep" function I'd give one :smile:.

You're thinking of applying to ALL London unis? Seems a bit risky
Reply 17
jamal1425

..As for Imperial, the website only says under "Subjects and Grades Required" , that only Biology and Chemistry are compulsory.

yay! :biggrin: & you wouldn't want to be a Tab anyway, Oxford is the way to go.. :wink:

when i applied for Imperial, back in the day.. i got an offer with Bio, Chem, Hist & Lit., so if they don't say required, then it's not. & if anything you may be a bit unique, so stand out more & increase your likelihood. + i think UCL are on record as giving preference to candidates with "arts" 3rd subjects? although yours technically are a humanity & language, they're dfeinitely not science..

so fingers crossed!
Reply 18
EVERYONE STOP!!!! LISTEN!!!

you will be fine without maths - absolutely no problems what so ever!!
the maths you come across in chem, bio and geog cwsk will be common sense !!! THATS ALL

if you dont want to do maths - DO NOT DO IT AND I REPEAT DO NOT DO IT!!!

it will disrupt your other students

take it from someone who has been there done that (as the saying goes)

i did bio chem geog (2 offers outta 4 :biggrin: ) now thats not bad and all you really need!!

applying only london unis - a risk!! DONT MAKE ME LAUGH!! unis dont see what other unis you apply and if they do - you want to stay in london - and many do (and many dont)

but that really doesnt matter

all im trying to say is make sure you have BIO,CHEM!! geog is a great compliment to them (trust me i knw)!!! but german - diff and if you enjoy it keep it!!

just go 4 it!! get good grades !! trust no maths for medicine is excellent idea!!!
Reply 19
My friend has got a place into med school (UCL) this year without doing Maths. He did Biology, Chemistry, English and AS Physics.

Latest

Trending

Trending