Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does the proximity of parents' home address to the university make a difference to eligibility for maintenance loans?
    My son has just started a course in another city and gets a loan based on living away from us. However I might be about to take a job which would mean we move much closer to him next year. We could end up living within 20 or 30 miles of him but I don't think we would live anywhere from where he could commute and anyway living independently is part of what he wants to do.
    My fear is that SFE cut his loan if we are too close. Is that part of the assessment? Does anybody know?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is, because even though you live close to him, he is still living away from home, therefore he is entitled to more of a loan than if he was living at home. I would say it doesn't make a difference, but it's best to contact SFE directly just to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    The loans have little to no means testing. They are loans not benefits. My advice is to bite off SFE arms and legs and use the free money wisely. All that extra money comes without a credit check and totals nearly £26000 over 3 years. This is impossible to achieve with a bank. Where you live had nothing to do with your son's entitlement to the loan. Loan. Loan. Remember, not a state benefit. Not job seekers allowance. Loan. 6% currently but not repayable until he earns above £21k. This is rising to £25k. Even if he lived in daddy's pocket The Loan is to cover essential expenses like text books, study materials and other important things like dirty weekends away on mountain bikes in the mud and rain; parties until 6am with the wrong crowd; trips abroad in support of the degree. Travel expenses. Ya! Ouch on that last one!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwoGee)
    Does the proximity of parents' home address to the university make a difference to eligibility for maintenance loans?
    My son has just started a course in another city and gets a loan based on living away from us. However I might be about to take a job which would mean we move much closer to him next year. We could end up living within 20 or 30 miles of him but I don't think we would live anywhere from where he could commute and anyway living independently is part of what he wants to do.
    My fear is that SFE cut his loan if we are too close. Is that part of the assessment? Does anybody know?
    No. The only difference would be if resided with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.