Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm thinking about applying to Oxford next year and I have a question.

What does the ballot system mean, regarding room assigning. Does it mean that you don't get to choose which type of room you get? So like if I wanted a self catering one, would I definitely get one or is it down to chance?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To my knowledge it means that the order in which students pick rooms is based on a randomly drawn list of names (which is typically reversed the following year, so those at the bottom then have a "chance" at the top). The usual crux of this is those nearer the top are more likely to be able to live in "popular" areas (perhaps older or more central areas of the college) whereas others have slightly less choice - and again they usually reverse the ballots to ensure everyone has a fair chance of living somewhere they want at some point in their college career.

However there aren't really self catering facilities in most colleges to my knowledge...and what there is tends to be very limited. I believe if you indicate that you have specific dietary requirements the college catering services aren't able to fulfill, they may have you as a special case and place you somewhere specifically...?

ReputationRep:
    they pick your name out at random, so the closer you are to the top of the system the more choices you have. Its pretty much down to chance

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, thanks for your replies
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queenie123)
    Hi, so I'm thinking about applying to Oxford next year and I have a question.

What does the ballot system mean, regarding room assigning. Does it mean that you don't get to choose which type of room you get? So like if I wanted a self catering one, would I definitely get one or is it down to chance?
    The ballot system is agreed at each college by the student reps (JCR) and the domestic bursar. Brasenose runs three ballots for three room bands (rooms are banded according to size, location, and amenities). Students select band and the ballot outcome is a combination of choice and chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queenie123)
    Some colleges have much better self-catering facilities than others. Bear in mind that a good kitchen is often not a high priority for students, as lots of people are happy to eat in hall all the time and only want a microwave and toaster, say, for occasional other things.

ReputationRep:
    I think some colleges do a thing where they reverse the ballot results for third-year accommodation, too - i.e. if you ended up at the bottom of the list in first year, you end up at the top in third year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.