Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

May plans to Reshuffle cabinet Watch

ReputationRep:
    Acccording to various sources, Philip Hammond is invulnerable because the city and big business trust him and that moving him and replaceong him with a hard brexiteer would panic them and lead to a potential economic crash.

That said, this is perhaps a rare case as to when the deficit is of secondary importance- he should be allocating resources towards a potential (or as I suspect) likely no deal. That said a brexiteer chancellor could very well rock the boat overboard. It’s a difficult balancing act.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Acccording to various sources, Philip Hammond is invulnerable because the city and big business trust him and that moving him and replaceong him with a hard brexiteer would panic them and lead to a potential economic crash.

That said, this is perhaps a rare case as to when the deficit is of secondary importance- he should be allocating resources towards a potential (or as I suspect) likely no deal. That said a brexiteer vhs cellar could very well rock the boat overboard. It’s a difficult balancing act.
    Though I'm no fan of Hammond, he's infinitely more preferable than the hard right Brexiteers.

ReputationRep:
    That said a brexiteer vhs cellar
    Only if those videos show Hammond having a threesome with Harvey Weinstein and Dame Maggie Smith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatter_2)
    It was illegal under our bill of rights
    "
    no foreign prince, person, prelate, state, or potentate hath, or ought to have, any jurisdiction, power, superiority, pre-eminence, or authority, ecclesiastical or spiritual, within this realm.
    "

The people never voted to join a political union, but our politicians deceitfully brought us into such an arrangement.
    What ecclesiastical or spiritual authority does the EU have? Does it appoint bishops, grant indulgences, excommunicate people?

The whole purpose of the Bill of Rights was to set out the terms of the deal on which British sovereignty was given to a Dutchman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Though I'm no fan of Hammond, he's infinitely more preferable than the hard right Brexiteers.
    The brexiteers are the ones calling for an increase in public spending to see off brexit
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

That said, this is perhaps a rare case as to when the deficit is of secondary importance- he should be allocating resources towards a potential (or as I suspect) likely no deal. That said a brexiteer chancellor could very well rock the boat overboard. It’s a difficult balancing act.
    Only in this budget but yes i would agree that he gets a free pass for the 2017-2019 period (though i'd rather he at least maintained the current deficit rather than increase it).

Although i have always thought no deal was possible (i'm not sure why ex-Remainers whine that no progress has been made - the EU made clear a year ago that it wanted to shaft us with the divorce bill) i think it will be something like the Brexit vote itself. In the initial aftermath we'll see a huge drop in confidence and panic but within 6 months it will be clear the sky has not fallen in (primarily because i don't think the EU will impose tarrifs from day 1 - they may not give us a free trade deal but i think we will both suddenly agree to some kind of transition albeit we'll be out of everything).

The economy won't be rocking until at least 2024 (when changes me make finally yield fruit) but at the same time i expect low growth like this year rather than recession.

The brexiteers are the ones calling for an increase in public spending to see off brexit
    A lot of the Remainers that accept the result are the ones calling for higher spending to get us through Brexit (probably because they don't believe it would beneficial for many, many years). The hard die in the wool Brexit camp is emphatically for deficit reduction (Mogg and co).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Only in this budget but yes i would agree that he gets a free pass for the 2017-2019 period (though i'd rather he at least maintained the current deficit rather than increase it).

Although i have always thought no deal was possible (i'm not sure why ex-Remainers whine that no progress has been made - the EU made clear a year ago that it wanted to shaft us with the divorce bill) i think it will be something like the Brexit vote itself. In the initial aftermath we'll see a huge drop in confidence and panic but within 6 months it will be clear the sky has not fallen in (primarily because i don't think the EU will impose tarrifs from day 1 - they may not give us a free trade deal but i think we will both suddenly agree to some kind of transition albeit we'll be out of everything).

The economy won't be rocking until at least 2024 (when changes me make finally yield fruit) but at the same time i expect low growth like this year rather than recession.
    Yeah that sounds about right.

A lot of the Remainders that accept the result are the ones calling for higher spending to get us through Brexit (probably because they don't believe it would beneficial for many, many years). The hard die in the wool Brexit camp is emphatically for deficit reduction (Mogg and co).
    I think there’s a bridge between liberal leavers (e.g Boris) who do back extra spending eg increase minimum wage, extra nhs money and the more hardline types (Mogg) - most of the hardline though seem to be willing to pay any price for a ‘clean brexit’ though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sounds about right.

I think there’s a bridge between liberal leavers (e.g Boris) who do back extra spending eg increase minimum wage, extra nhs money and the more hardline types (Mogg) - most of the hardline though seem to be willing to pay any price for a ‘clean brexit’ though.
    I'm just looking forward to the NHS getting the extra £350 million a week that we were promised!

I don't really believe any of the hard brexiteers are in favour of significant spending increases, nor many of the Tory remainers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.