Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got an idea that prevents clashes for timetable for the University. Does anyone think this is a good project idea to do?
    Considering how general it is, it can become very complex which I want it to become. I just need some opinions on if this is a good project to do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomaccount124)
    I've got an idea that prevents clashes for timetable for the University. Does anyone think this is a good project idea to do?
    Considering how general it is, it can become very complex which I want it to become. I just need some opinions on if this is a good project to do.
    Are you planning to use real data? Do you know if you'll have permission to access it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Are you planning to use real data? Do you know if you'll have permission to access it?
    This is the very start of it. I am just doing the Project Proposal, but if they do let me; why not use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomaccount124)
    This is the very start of it. I am just doing the Project Proposal, but if they do let me; why not use it.
    Have you considered GDPR? What data are you storing? How is it stored? Is it secure? Is it ethical to keep the data? How long are you keeping the data for?

You need to consider all this in your proposal if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I am definitely considering the suggestions that has been mentioned. Any more ideas?

(Original post by jestersnow)
    Have you considered GDPR? What data are you storing? How is it stored? Is it secure? Is it ethical to keep the data? How long are you keeping the data for?

You need to consider all this in your proposal if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily a bad idea, as you say. Only thing would be to agree with the above posts.
    I worked on a project using database data during my internship. It might be worth establishing whether or not there's a live database, and an offline production database. Funnily enough, people aren't very inclined to give people access to live databases. One wrong move can absolutely knacker a whole system. You'll almost certainly *not* be given access to their database, except perhaps read-only - which to be fair may be all you need depending on the potential scope of your project. But, even then, it might be against data protection for you to get access to this. If there's a production database (which usually takes the same structure as the live database, and has mimicked values, but isn't actually going to scupper anything if you break it!) then I'd suggest trying to ask - sooner rather than later - whether or not you can be granted access to this. If not, you could always generate your own database. If you were doing this, you'd need to choose whether you're opting for a relational database system (such as MySQL) or perhaps go down the line of non-relational/NoSQL database systems, like Amazon and several other big names use MongoDB for example. SQL vs JSON/JQuery. All stuff you can discuss in your proposal, too.

From experience, I can't stress enough how important it is to detail absolutely *every* decision you make, with a justification, in your dissertation. So keep note of all of these.

As for an idea, I can see how the complications in development could quickly arise, so I could see it being a really cool project if pulled off correctly.

Do consider all the implications of using data, and adhering to regulations and ethics.

ReputationRep:
    OK - as you probably know there are already commercial systems to do this.

don't think you'd need any real database - just make up test cases with different room sizes and enrol your pretend students on pretend modules with a PRNG and some weighting to make some modules more popular than others. Try identify the corner cases and see if your software can handle them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.