Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thread for people to discuss whether they mention or nah. Do I mention Lord of the Flies and To kill a Mockingbird in my Law personal statement despite not studying English Language or Literature? I understand a lot of people mention the two
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What would the purpose of mentioning them be? The majority of your PS should be about your academic interest in law. You don't need to mention your other A Levels at all anyway
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon5555)
    Thread for people to discuss whether they mention or nah. Do I mention Lord of the Flies and To kill a Mockingbird in my Law personal statement despite not studying English Language or Literature? I understand a lot of people mention the two
    I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned in any of the PS I've reviewed in many years of reviewing. Also, I'm not entirely sure I see the link to law...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned in any of the PS I've reviewed in many years of reviewing. Also, I'm not entirely sure I see the link to law...
    Where on TSR can I get my PS reviewed safely? I honestly think my PS is awful.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The service is currently closed for technical reasons at the moment. Details are here though
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4973716

ReputationRep:
    I think the majority of people have the same thought about theirs. Your PS can be quite far away from perfect and you'd still stand a decent chance of good offers. Don't overthink or become anxious. Keep things simple, relate the content to the academic study of law, and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    1) I have worked on my Law PS for the past few months and have cut it down from 6 paragraphs to 3. Is that preferable? I think I have a solid structure but it's still only 3 bigger chunks of text and I want to make sure that they read it all and don't miss a point. It is currently on around 3990/4000 characters

2) Also, I have stated my own opinion on a specific issue, it might be a bit one-sided or biased for some. Should I stay absolutely neutral about everything I mention?

3) How important is mentioning my own curiosity as compared to mentioning academics/work experience? I lack the second one, although I do have some experience I think most of my PS is based on case studies and specific parts that interest me. No law-firm experience for instance ( I do have UN model experience).

4) My PS is also mostly focused on a specific sphere of Law that I am interested in. Is it preferable to mention my own future career aspirations or rather mention my interest in the subject as a whole?

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goonhoon)
    1) I have worked on my Law PS for the past few months and have cut it down from 6 paragraphs to 3. Is that preferable? I think I have a solid structure but it's still only 3 bigger chunks of text and I want to make sure that they read it all and don't miss a point. It is currently on around 3990/4000 characters

2) Also, I have stated my own opinion on a specific issue, it might be a bit one-sided or biased for some. Should I stay absolutely neutral about everything I mention?

3) How important is mentioning my own curiosity as compared to mentioning academics/work experience? I lack the second one, although I do have some experience I think most of my PS is based on case studies and specific parts that interest me. No law-firm experience for instance ( I do have UN model experience).

4) My PS is also mostly focused on a specific sphere of Law that I am interested in. Is it preferable to mention my own future career aspirations or rather mention my interest in the subject as a whole?

Thank you
    1. Given that you should have separate introductory and concluding paragraphs, 3 doesn't sound like enough. You should be aiming for 4-5 really. You are more likely to hit the line count before the character count as well

2. It depends - you shouldn't sound like you are lecturing the admissions tutors, but you should be showing your interest. If you think it's a bit too controversial it may be worth removing it

3. You don't need law firm experience. I don't know what you mean by curiosity. You should talk about your academic interest in law

4. It's best not to focus on just one area - mention 2-3 areas of law and why they interest you. You don't need to mention career aspirations

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.