Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Could I apply for undergraduate entry Medicine at this age, or should some things be taken in consideration before applying?

+Very good grades from over 10 years ago (gcse & AS level) and averidge 702.5 with Band2 UKCAT this year.
    +Graduated from university as an Automation Engineer in 2011 with averidge good grades (scale 4 out of 5).
    +Will be turning 31 before December.
    +Solid work experience as team leader, function head, nutritionist, working with people and also in a care setting

All help and recommendations are appreciated, Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered Graduate entry Medicine with Kings, Queen Mary, Warwick or Newcastle? Since you have done the UKCAT and not the GAMSAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2Jonas)
    Have you considered Graduate entry Medicine with Kings, Queen Mary, Warwick or Newcastle? Since you have done the UKCAT and not the GAMSAT
    Have not considered graduate entry medicine yet, but feel my UKCAT and Engineering grades are not good enough for graduate entry medicine... Compared to my gcse/AS level grades and applying to undergraduate entry Medicine. Any thoughts? It might be an option to apply for both
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JerryBravo)
    Hi!
    Could I apply for undergraduate entry Medicine at this age, or should some things be taken in consideration before applying?

+Very good grades from over 10 years ago (gcse & AS level) and averidge 702.5 with Band2 UKCAT this year.
    +Graduated from university as an Automation Engineer in 2011 with averidge good grades (scale 4 out of 5).
    +Solid work experience as team leader, function head, nutritionist, working with people and also in a care setting

You do realise you wouldn't be eligible for tuition fee funding on a 5 year course, due to already having a degree?

I agree with Joe2Jonas, why not apply for graduate entry?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Did you do your degree outside of the UK? Do you know what your degree classification would be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Did you do your degree outside of the UK? Do you know what your degree classification would be?
    Thanks for taking part in the conversation ForestCat and Democracy!

Bachelor and did my degree outside the UK. Does this affect tuitions fee funding?

ReputationRep:
    Have not considered graduate entry medicine yet, but feel my UKCAT and Engineering grades are not good enough for graduate entry medicine... Compared to my gcse/AS level grades and applying to undergraduate entry Medicine. Any thoughts? It might be an option to apply for both
    With regards to this I suggest you email the medical school to ask about applying to Undergraduate level now in order to send your application off in time of the deadline. I highly recommend that you to also call them but having an email proof that your application would be considerable is the main key.

If not then you have to apply to Graduate Entry Route where your application is based on the GAMSAT test for Nottingham and not the UKCAT which you can sit in March and that way you can apply to places that accept graduates such as Swansea (3rd best medical school). UKCAT can be used for Warwick and Newcastle graduate entry routes as well as Kings, Southampton and Queen Mary. Make sure you check there requirements.

(Original post by ForestCat)
    You do realise you wouldn't be eligible for tuition fee funding on a 5 year course, due to already having a degree?

I agree with Joe2Jonas, why not apply for graduate entry?
    ForestCat has a point with regards to the funding. If you are applying to Undergraduate Entry then make sure you can fund the full tuition fees as well as accommodation and living cost. As you don't have help from NHS bursary or Student Finance. Whereas in Graduate Entry if you are a UK/EU student then you have funding by NHS bursary/Student Finance but need to fund your first year of med school only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2Jonas)
    ForestCat has a point with regards to the funding. If you are applying to Undergraduate Entry then make sure you can fund the full tuition fees as well as accommodation and living cost. As you don't have help from NHS bursary or Student Finance. Whereas in Graduate Entry if you are a UK/EU student then you have funding by NHS bursary/Student Finance but need to fund your first year of med school only.
    THIS is a very good point! I am an EU applicant and need a loan for tuition fees - looked at the student finance calculator
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator and typed in my information. Unfortunately the calculator does not take into account having a previous degree, and thus I was in the assumption of getting a loan for the tuition fees.

I do not necessarily need funding for accommodation and living costs but do need a loan for the tuition fees. Applying to Graduate Entry might be the only option for getting a loan for tuition fees from the UK (after the first year)? For Kings it unfortunately seems that I would need to have a bio science degree before applying to Graduate Entry Medicine? Which I do not have. Only an engineering degree, biology and chemistry only at gcse/AS-level

Is this chart somewhat accurate?

Any help on to which Graduate Entry programs I would be able to apply for would be golden. Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.