Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which would be better for a job in IB/HF/etc.?

I know Imperial Maths is regarded as being better/harder/more rigorous than LSE Maths, but LSE seems to have the better brand name for finance jobs

ReputationRep:
    Imperial because the maths department is significantly better, opening better opportunities for companies like Citadel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgetspinner)
    Imperial because the maths department is significantly better, opening better opportunities for companies like Citadel
    Thanks for the reply.

Would the "with Economics" part of the LSE course open doors to many business/finance/consulting jobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnceUponAThyme)
    Thanks for the reply.

Would the "with Economics" part of the LSE course open doors to many business/finance/consulting jobs?
    No, nothing you learn in an economics degree is applicable in the real world. Focusing on maths/stats is the best option, in todays data-driven world

ReputationRep:
    depends on you tbh, if you love maths > econ, go for imperial and vice versa

degree name doesn't matter and both universities are similar in prestige, LSE is deemed as more lucrative for finance jobs only because more people go onto to do financial jobs whereas imperial grads go onto do REAL work.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is better tbh

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the replies

ReputationRep:
    Imperial math final year student here,

If you're looking for an IB/Finance job, I strongly recommend LSE. The curriculum and the way you are graded is less stringent, and I would presume you spend less time studying, and therefore more time for applications and interviews (trust me this matters a lot)

wrt to the syllabus, I can't say much about LSE's, but Imperial's Maths syllabus is VERY PURE! You do 8 courses without choice in your first year, and another 8 in your second, of which you only have a choice in one of them (picking between a stats, applied or pure option), which means that anything you want to learn about financial maths will be in Y3, which definitely leaves you at a disadvantage to other applicants who have been studying the area since day one. You can get asked technical finance questions at interviews, so you'd have to do that extra prep yourself.

Lastly, I think employers view Imperial and LSE with equal standing. Imperial does have a good reputation outside of finance as well, and opportunities to network are very available here should you decide to come after all!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.