Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My interest doesn't just lie in psychology but also criminology so if I were to apply for a psychology and criminology/ forensic psychology degree will that give me a lower chance for a job with child psychology or clinical if I decided I wanted to go for that?

None of the jobs for criminology are suited for me however I really do find the subject itself very interesting and prefer to do that instead of just psychology. Will the psychology side allow me to explore more areas as well? I haven't decided exactly which genre of psychology I would like to work towards yet and that's something I will decide when I explore them all through my years in uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blitterflicker)
    My interest doesn't just lie in psychology but also criminology so if I were to apply for a psychology and criminology/ forensic psychology degree will that give me a lower chance for a job with child psychology or clinical if I decided I wanted to go for that?

None of the jobs for criminology are suited for me however I really do find the subject itself very interesting and prefer to do that instead of just psychology. Will the psychology side allow me to explore more areas as well? I haven't decided exactly which genre of psychology I would like to work towards yet and that's something I will decide when I explore them all through my years in uni.
    You should be aware that the vast majority of straight psychology degrees will include modules on forensic psychology and criminology anyway. I've always recommended to students who are interested in studying psychology at degree level to take the straight psychology option as it will include a wider selection of modules and you will still be able to pursue a career in forensic psychology or criminology if you so wish by the end of your degree.

However, as long as the "psychology" bit of your degree is accredited by the BPS and allows a graduate basis for chartered membership to the BPS then you'll have the same chance of pursuing child development and clinical roles as those who have completed straight psychology degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    You should be aware that the vast majority of straight psychology degrees will include modules on forensic psychology and criminology anyway. I've always recommended to students who are interested in studying psychology at degree level to take the straight psychology option as it will include a wider selection of modules and you will still be able to pursue a career in forensic psychology or criminology if you so wish by the end of your degree.

However, as long as the "psychology" bit of your degree is accredited by the BPS and allows a graduate basis for chartered membership to the BPS then you'll have the same chance of pursuing child development and clinical roles as those who have completed straight psychology degrees.
    I did a HE diploma on psychology and criminology and I really did enjoy the side of criminology which is why I would like to continue on with it so that its apart of the three years of my degree at uni.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate the detailed response.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.