Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please explain why:

Chlorine will displace bromide and iodide ions from solution?

Why Bromine will displace iodide ions from solution, but not chloride ions?

Why iodide cannot displace either bromide or chloride ions from solution?

I have tried researching this elsewhere but am still having difficulty understanding the concepts...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The electronegativity of the halogens decreases down the group.
    Chlorine has a higher electronegativity than bromine, bromine has a higher electronegativity than iodine etc.
    An atom with a greater electronegativity can displace one with a lower electronegativity
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DhylanP - CRGS)
    Could someone please explain why:

Chlorine will displace bromide and iodide ions from solution?

Why Bromine will displace iodide ions from solution, but not chloride ions?

Why iodide cannot displace either bromide or chloride ions from solution?

I have tried researching this elsewhere but am still having difficulty understanding the concepts...

Thanks!
    This is because chlorine is the most reactive, then bromine, then iodine, the reason for this is because all of these atoms want to gain an electron to complete their shells and chlorine has the least shells meaning it is easier for its nucleus to attract an electron whereas bromine has more shells so the electron will be further away from the nucleus, and iodine has even more shells so the electron it is trying to gain is further away from the nucleus (also due to electron shell shielding meaning the more shells the smaller the attractive force). Leading to chlorine being more reactive than bromine and iodine, and bromine being more reactive than iodine. We also know that a more reactive element will displace a less reactive element which is why this happens.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, thanks for answering!

I understand what you are saying, but my thinking is that how can Chlorine displace iodide ions when iodide ions are the most reactive out of all the halides?

ReputationRep:

I understand what you are saying, but my thinking is that how can Chlorine displace iodide ions when iodide ions are the most reactive out of all the halides?
    Using this line of thinking, if iodide ions are the "most reactive", then we would expect them most likely to take part in (redox) reactions?

Hence they are the most readily oxidised back into their elemental form, i.e 2I- -->I2

ReputationRep:
    Minds gone west here

ReputationRep:

Think about the atomic structure of iodine and chlorine, draw them both out if needed, then think which one is more reactive and why.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I've got it now. Sounds like I lost the plot for a while there! LOL! Thanks for answering guys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.