Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my iPad 2 just died 😭 and I also have an iPhone 5s. Because of the similarities between iPad and phone now I just want to get a new phone because iOS 11 isn't available on 5s. What iPhone would you recommend? (reasonable price not 8 or X) I'm thinking 7, probably plus because I like the larger screen to bridge the gap to iPad and where can I get a good deal?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking at GiffGaff? https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phon.../phone-details

You could also ask your current mobile provider to see if they can do a good deal for you, or you could buy the iPhone outright (new or second hand) and use your current sim/go sim free plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Have you tried looking at GiffGaff? https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phon.../phone-details

You could also ask your current mobile provider to see if they can do a good deal for you, or you could buy the iPhone outright (new or second hand) and use your current sim/go sim free plan.
    I'm PAYG on my current phone which was given to me by a family member that was upgrading. My sim doesn't really have a good deal I'd rather get contract this time

ReputationRep:
    >reasonable price
    >iPhone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    >reasonable price
    >iPhone
    You know what I mean

ReputationRep:

I've never used giffgaff before. Is it second hand?

ReputationRep:
    What usage are you looking for - texts, minutes and data? You want to get a contract that suits you rather than paying for things you wouldn't use. Also, if the majority your friends and family are on the same network, you could also get savings. For example, Three added 2000 Three-to-Three minutes for no charge on my contract.

(Original post by Reece.W.J)
    I'm PAYG on my current phone which was given to me by a family member that was upgrading. My sim doesn't really have a good deal I'd rather get contract this time

ReputationRep:
    What's the obsession with Iphones? Don't buy one. There are so many other phones out there for much cheaper. Do you enjoy being ripped off?

ReputationRep:
    What usage are you looking for - texts, minutes and data? You want to get a contract that suits you rather than paying for things you wouldn't use. Also, if the majority your friends and family are on the same network, you could also get savings. For example, Three added 2000 Three-to-Three minutes for no charge on my contract.
    My family are on O2 I'll have to ask but I think I can get a cheap Vodafone through my uncles work. Also just looked at giffgaff and it's no cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racsoix)
    What's the obsession with Iphones? Don't buy one. There are so many other phones out there for much cheaper. Do you enjoy being ripped off?
    I guess so
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my iPad 2 just died 😭 and I also have an iPhone 5s. Because of the similarities between iPad and phone now I just want to get a new phone because iOS 11 isn't available on 5s. What iPhone would you recommend? (reasonable price not 8 or X) I'm thinking 7, probably plus because I like the larger screen to bridge the gap to iPad and where can I get a good deal?
    iOS 11 is available on the 5S.

ReputationRep:
    My family are on O2 I'll have to ask but I think I can get a cheap Vodafone through my uncles work. Also just looked at giffgaff and it's no cheaper
    If you like data, Three do good deals (I am on Three). I think O2 do a similar offer for calls to people also on O2 (I'm not entirely sure).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    iOS 11 is available on the 5S.
    No it's not. If it was the 5 is old anyway and it's time I upgrade

ReputationRep:
    If you like data, Three do good deals (I am on Three). I think O2 do a similar offer for calls to people also on O2 (I'm not entirely sure).
    Ok ty
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No it's not. If it was the 5 is old anyway and it's time I upgrade
    Yes. It is.

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios-11/ and scroll down near the bottom.

A 5S is a very decent phone for most people.

ReputationRep:
    ios 11 is goddamn awful so far, ios 10 was far better and didn't drain the battery on my 7 plus as I've had issues with battery, Bluetooth and responsiveness since the update. Probably worth waiting till they've rectified the issues. The 7 plus was incredible running ios 10.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It is.

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios-11/ and scroll down near the bottom.

A 5S is a very decent phone for most people.
    My iPad died so I want a phone with a bigger screen
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My iPad died so I want a phone with a bigger screen
    I was pointing out that iOS 11 was available on the 5S.

Why not just go for a 6 or 6S. There's virtually no difference between the 6S and the 7 anyways, apart from the loss of the headphone jack.

ReputationRep:
    I was pointing out that iOS 11 was available on the 5S.

Why not just go for a 6 or 6S. There's virtually no difference between the 6S and the 7 anyways, apart from the loss of the headphone jack.
    Because the 6 will become obsolete sooner
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because the 6 will become obsolete sooner
    I doubt the 6S will be obsolete anytime soon :hmmm:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.