Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2 months after a breakup...and feeling much worse Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Back in late July my girlfriend of three years broke up with me, just as she was about to head off after uni to a high flying position in the city. I thought everything was going well, and then bam: turns out that for the last year she hadn't actually been in love with me - just wanted me around to help her get through uni and not to have anything upset the apple cart in terms of her studies. I was just so shocked, and I still am - perhaps the main reason why I'm now feeling so low.

After the initial shock, about 2-4 weeks in, I was starting to feel good: motivated, confident, wanting to do more things, hit the gym harder and speak to more people - almost like somebody had slipped me some kind of unexpected amphetamine. I was telling my counsellor, my parents, my friends, that I felt like a new man and that I had 'moved on'. A part of my was thinking 'this is too good to be true', and it was.

About 5-6 weeks in, I started to feel worse. More feelings of loneliness, despair, sadness and nostalgia of the worst kind. Thinking back to the good times and dredging up some of the most happy and soppy memories we had together. I relapsed back to calling my mother in the early hours of the morning on the way to work, like when I did in the first couple of weeks, just because the loneliness of the walk was really starting to get to me. I've begun to really hate my job and I don't feel at all motivated to do all of the stuff that I was doing back in mid/late August, such as go out of my way to help people and go the extra mile in terms of workload. I try taking mood improvement supplements, but I think they just make me feel worse.

So I'm just a little worried really. My friend said that with his relationship, after about 2 months, he had almost completely forgotten about his ex and that he had gotten over her. If anything, I've gotten worse - poor sleep, vivid and depressing dreams and just a more anxious attitude as a whole.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or is going through one right now? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There is no set time for a person to recover from a break up, it differs from person to person. Don't feel worse because you still haven't gotten over her. After all she was a big part of your life and she let you down in a big way.

Keep trying to keep yourself busy. Go out with friends, do hobbies and the things you love. It won't be easy, but with time, things will get better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.