Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do university look at your gcse results? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying maths, further maths, chemistry and physics at a level and i want to study physics at university, preferably a Russell group one.

Are universities likely to care that much about gcse grades or are reasonable grades in physics, chemistry and maths allow me to get into most of the good universites?

I know there are lots of threads already open on this subject but, they aren't as specific as i want them to be and they mostly look at medicine at oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think your GCSEs results are good enough. You just need to work hard during you a levels as they are more important than your GCSEs. I'm sure you will get to do what you want with those grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amullai)
    I'm currently studying maths, further maths, chemistry and physics at a level and i want to study physics at university, preferably a Russell group one.
    My Gcse grades were
    Maths :8
    Additional Maths: B
    English Language: 6
    Literature: 5
    Biology, Computer science, Philosophy and Ethics: B
    Physics, Chemistry,Engineering: A
    Geography: C
    ECDL: Dist*

Are universities likely to care that much about these grades or are the reasonable grades in physics, chemistry and maths allow me to get into most of the good universites?

I know there are lots of threads already open on this subject but, they aren't as specific as i want them to be and they mostly look at medicine at oxbridge.
    Weeeell, my uni didn't look at my gcse grades at all, but then it's not a russell group, and I had to submit a portfolio and do an interview
    imho i wouldn't worry too much about your gcses, they seem very good anyway, but unis are way more likely to look at a levels, epq, and anything else you do that makes your personal statement look good (e.g. volunteering, part-time work, ncs...)
    tldr; dw about them, you'll do fine

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are much more important to universities now than they used to be, given that AS levels have been scrapped, so GCSEs are the only set of public exam results you have when you apply.

Your grades aren’t too bad - though you’d be unlikely to get into a top RG uni for physics/engineering (e.g. Warwick, Imperial) unless you get stellar predicted A-level grades, you could certainly get into somewhere like Nottingham or Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    OK, thank you. I guess they will be ok for most of universities excluding Oxford, Birmingham and the ones that really care about Gcse grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.