Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im wondering whether my maths grade will in any way hinder my chances of applying to oxbridge.

my results were:
    Maths: 5 (I think thats a C)
    English Lit: 9
    English Lang: 9
    History: A*
    Philosophy: A*
    Latin: A*
    Geography: A
    Science (Core): A
    Science (Additional): A
    ICT: B

Im looking to apply for a history degree, i was considering re-sitting maths but I don't think I can do that extra work on top of my A Levels, will this be a problem? Should I be concerned?

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are good, but that C does stand out; it might be worth asking an admissions tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Your grades are good, but that C does stand out; it might be worth asking an admissions tutor?
    Yeah i agree, it definitely stands out, I asked if i could resit along with the students who failed & now have to resit but my college wasn't prepared to let me join the resit classes as i had technically passed, Ive been advised to enter as an external candidate but as i struggle with maths its going to be difficult to teach myself & i cant afford tutoring so Im really stuck for what to do
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AletheaW)
    Yeah i agree, it definitely stands out, I asked if i could resit along with the students who failed & now have to resit but my college wasn't prepared to let me join the resit classes as i had technically passed, Ive been advised to enter as an external candidate but as i struggle with maths its going to be difficult to teach myself & i cant afford tutoring so Im really stuck for what to do
    Your GCSEs are absolutely fine.

There's no point resitting that Maths GCSE, focus on your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im wondering whether my maths grade will in any way hinder my chances of applying to oxbridge.

my results were:
    Maths: 5 (I think thats a C)
    English Lit: 9
    English Lang: 9
    History: A*
    Philosophy: A*
    Latin: A*
    Geography: A
    Science (Core): A
    Science (Additional): A
    ICT: B

Im looking to apply for a history degree, i was considering re-sitting maths but I don't think I can do that extra work on top of my A Levels, will this be a problem? Should I be concerned?
    All fine, no real need to resit.

ReputationRep:
    Don't resit maths, focus on your A Levels. Getting a better grade in GCSE maths isn't going to matter if you aren't on track to achieve the standard A Level offer because of the extra work, and it's not like you're applying to a subject where maths is relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Don't resit maths, focus on your A Levels. Getting a better grade in GCSE maths isn't going to matter if you aren't on track to achieve the standard A Level offer because of the extra work, and it's not like you're applying to a subject where maths is relevant.
    Are you sure? I don't want it to hold me back?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? I don't want it to hold me back?
    It won't make any difference to an Oxbridge offer. Whereas compromising your A-levels would.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.