Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spratty)
    I am saying that this piece of paper is a confirmation that I have learnt these skills. Thats where the value comes from. Not the teaching.
    Of course?

A degree that confirms you were successfully taught these skills is of no use to you or an employer. A degree shows that you have learned a certain amount of information/skill.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think you're getting value for what you're paying? Drop out and make your own way in the real world. Good luck getting that graduate-level job and salary.

After just 2 weeks of attendance (did that include freshers week btw?) it sounds like you've got a thorough understanding of the financial affairs and day-to-day running costs of the university, as well as knowing the job descriptions for all the academic and support staff employed there.

ReputationRep:
    It has been two weeks of university, and although I am enjoying my course i would not justify the cost at 9250. In every lecture it has been powerpoint after powerpoint. Honestly I could self-teach myself most of the content that they have taught us in the first year.

They have literally no excuse to be charging students the absolute top rate of tuiton fees, especially when the teaching methods are sub par. It's ridiculous.
    the 27,000 pounds cost at the end of your course is actually for the degree that you receive , not really for the teachings.

this degree in turn would then allow you to get a good paying job which you will be able to make money from for the rest of your life.

thats why i believe it costs that much

ReputationRep:
    Why would I transfer university when the cost is same everywhere?
    Different university have harder content on the subject, some can be more lenient in terms of how many exams and coursework you have to do.

ReputationRep:
    I know that I'm meant to self teach. If you bothered to read my post the point I was making was that they don't vary the teaching methods, teaching style, etc. It is just powerpoint after powerpoint and £9250 per YEAR cannot be justified for this.
    You're still there, so you're justifying the cost.

University should be about being made to think, hard, to really understand your subject(s). You can't be taught that, but you can be pointed in the right direction occasionally. The university has substantial buildings to maintain, equipment to provide and update, lecturers and their benefits to pay, admin staff etc.

Tutorials and labs should be where you get the real value, and where universities differ.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I transfer university when the cost is same everywhere?
    Some universities and courses are better value than others.

ReputationRep:
    you are paying for old economy steve

ReputationRep:
    You are paying £9,250 for a piece of paper that says you have a degree in a certain course.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It has been two weeks of university, and although I am enjoying my course i would not justify the cost at 9250. In every lecture it has been powerpoint after powerpoint. Honestly I could self-teach myself most of the content that they have taught us in the first year.

They have literally no excuse to be charging students the absolute top rate of tuiton fees, especially when the teaching methods are sub par. It's ridiculous.
    (Original post by crosssafley)
    Every course 9250 even the useless ones like african studies
    Welcome to uni life. This is why higher fees are s***, because now, instead of people going to uni and thinking 'great, what can I do with this opportunity?' they think 'ok then, show me where my money's being spent, educate me, go on!' - students now feel that they are paying for a 'service' and therefore deserve something in return which is completely the wrong mindset for uni. It should be either free, or at least as affordable as it used to be and still is in other countries, and that would generate an environment much more conducive to education, new ideas, innovation, etc.

Secondly the reason why 'even' the useless courses are expensive is because - imagine if courses were more expensive if they were more essential? Who would apply for courses in Law, Medicine, PPE? It would be exclusively those who can afford it. It seems unfair, if you are on a humanities course or something similar, that more of your fees go on Engineering and Science courses at that uni than on your own course. But the alternative would be much worse leading to much less diversity both at uni and in work forces after uni.

ReputationRep:
    Many of you are being incredibly naive. You dont just pay for x number of teaching hours.

You pay for .... the library and all its books/staff/IT facilities, your teaching rooms/lecture theatres/labs, refectories/cafes/common rooms, gyms/sports halls/playing fields, medical/counselling/health facilities, an accommodation service, a careers service, an IT service, Faculty/Dept/School offices and all the staff, cleaners/porters/security staff - and all the thousand and one other things you would expect there to be. Because all of you would whinge like crazy if these things were NOT there, right?

ReputationRep:
    You're paying for the opportunity to use their printing services. Which you also have to pay extra for.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry Jeremy Cornyn will fix it
    ******* Lib Dems

ReputationRep:
    Ok. In my University there will be a new students union building being made. It will cost £10,000,000

(9250 per year) * (9500 number of students) = £87,875,000

Multiply that over a minimum of 3 years per degree gives you £ 263,625,000

How can you justify this amount of money down to the construction of buildings and equipment? In my course we're told to buy everything ourselves. The university does not pay for anything.
    So 87million let’s say 100 lecturers full time on 70k 70k*100 7million
    So that leaves 80million -10million to your new SU building.
    70million let’s say there are 900 support staff (anything from researches to janitors) average salary 50k 50k*900 45million

Leaves 25million.
    Some then goes to electricity, gas, water etc. Some goes to maintaining the buildings. Some goes to items such as Library online book subscriptions, computers for libraries etc.

Very easy to spend that money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Of course?

A degree that confirms you were successfully taught these skills is of no use to you or an employer. A degree shows that you have learned a certain amount of information/skill.
    Hence why employers expect experience on top of a degree. A piece of paper does not entirely define individuals as a person.

ReputationRep:
    So many people complaining about fees.

So many people paying them...

ReputationRep:
    You can learn the same thing (with a few exceptions) using the internet, library and online courses, for a much cheaper fee or none at all.

ReputationRep:
    Someone please tell me where this university that pays lecturers 70k is? Standard lecturers with post-graduate degrees get 35-45k. You need to be fairly high on the professor ladder to get 70k and you won't be teaching undergraduates. Most 1st year lecturers will, in fact, be Ph.D. students who make about 18k. The tuition fees are not going to the ground floor staff. That said, some lecturers are better than others and make an effort to support students and make the material as interesting as possible and some do the bare minimum.

ReputationRep:
    Solutions:
    - Unistats to publish each course uni fee in a way that's easy to find, so the few cheaper ones get more students.
    - Unis forced to publish breakdowns of costs in a way that's easier to understand at a glance, and can be fed into other web sites for comparisons. It's a bit late to find-out "what am I paying £9520 for?" when on the course, and not even know the official break-down.
    - Someone set-up a better Uni with lots of personal attention when needed, charged at a fair price. Start with English Studies. Bristol Uni only paid the department £3,000 a year per student a few years ago, according to FOI requests
    - Bigger student loans available for subjects like Dentistry if they have to charge more than arts.

ReputationRep:
    All of the lecturers at my uni are required to have a PhD I though that was a standard

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.