Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently in Year 11 and i'm deciding which A-Levels i want to take. I enjoy Chemistry and Biology and i was wondering if they are hard and if they are worth taking? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy them and think you'll be able to keep up with the workload, then go for it. I'd recommend at least a grade 6-7 in biology and chemistry so if you're targeted that or above you'd probably be able to cope.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and Biology both require around a grade 5 to do for A level meaning you'll have to do the higher paper for them. You'll probably be able to cope with them both if you really enjoy them and don't find them too difficult. Personally, I'm more of a Biology person, I'm also planning to take it for A level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a year 13 student and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology (dropped Religious Studies and am doing an EPQ). In my opinion, they're great subjects and I love doing them! But be warned they are hard, chemistry much more than biology however.

Chemistry is a lot of maths, application and memorising. There isn't too much content compared to the likes of biology and psychology but what there is of it is hard. I personally hate maths and struggle with it and so that's the hardest (and biggest) part of chem for me and certain topics don't go into my head. The amount of times last year I contemplated dropping and nearly broke down due to it is hard to count. HOWEVER I loved (and still love) the subject! I managed to get an A despite struggling with a lot of topics and as long as you work hard, revise and aren't afraid to ask for help I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Biology, I found, was marginally easier. There is A LOT to remember and again application plays a big part but majority of what we learned I found interesting and the maths isn't too hard. The hardest thing about biology is the mark scheme is very unforgiving (thought this might just be an AQA thing) and asks for very specific words to get the marks. In all thought, I enjoyed it a lot!

So yes, they are hard, however if they're subjects you love and you're going to put the time and effort into them to get the grades and revise then you'll love doing them and you'll do great! Hope I've helped and any other questions, just ask.

ReputationRep:
    Biology and chemistry are hard, but I would recommend them. There is a huge amount of content to cover in biology and it goes into a lot more depth than GCSE, but you get to learn so much more about the body and the natural world. The subject is really broad and you cover so many interesting topics, there will always be something you love. Chemistry does require a lot of work and learning all those equations can be tough, a lot of the topics are similar to GCSE especially during the first year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.