Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What type of IT/ Computer science Jobs could I get from:

Options-

Computer Science A level
    ICT GCSE
    Business GCSE
    Design technology GCSE

(the rest of my options are non IT related)

Just curious, ANY IT/ Computer science Jobs will do.
    Aiming for average to high salary.

ReputationRep:
    I think your salary will be far more dependent on your grades and university options than the four A-level/GCSEs you've listed. What other A-levels have you chosen? Just because you don't think they're related to IT doesn't make them irrelevant by any means.

Hypothetically if you were to study computer science at a Russell Group university and managed to obtain some kind of technical work experience (software or web development would be great but even something like a saturday job in your local computer shop would help), and then managed to find a summer internship in your penultimate year, you'd be in a strong position to apply for most of the jobs.

I'd say realistic salaries for computer science graduates are from about £16k-£50k, with the former in something like IT Support or Helpdesk Technician, and the latter working as a software developer in one of the investment banks, or managing to land a place at Google or Microsoft.

Not to sound patronising but when I was at school, I had similar questions - "I've made these choices and want to work in this field, what will my salary be?" but it's nowhere near as simple as that I'm afraid.

If you're really money-orientated my advice would be:
    1) Go for the best grades you can, in all subjects - universities and employers don't really care what subjects you took at GCSE, just the spread of grades you achieved (how many A*s, As, Bs, etc..)
    2) Get as much work experience as you can - use your Easter and Summer Holidays working for the largest companies you can find, and apply for as many roles as possible (spring weeks and summer internships). Failing that, walk into your local PC repair stores and ask for holiday work.
    3) Build a portfolio of your own projects - teaching yourself python/java/anything, running your own web server, building websites, etc. It doesn't matter what you choose to do, you just need to show enthusiasm.
    4) Don't give up on extra-curriculars if you go to uni - join societies, apply for committee positions, find a part-time job, take part in hackathons.
    5) Apply for as many jobs as you can - the interview experience is invaluable and you'l get a better feel for what the job market is like.

If you want to have a look at graduate roles and salaries for computer science students, check out Bright Network, Gradcracker, Rate My Placement and Milkround. Very broadly speaking the best paying computer science employers are:
    Google/Microsoft > Investment Banks > Professional Services/Consulting > Big tech firms > Big non-tech firms > Smaller companies. Just because you know you want to do computer science, don't rule out working in another industry (still doing techy-work)!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.