Doing Economics without maths? Watch

wasimchy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, TSR users, I'm currently in the process of applying to university. Out of all my subjects, Economics is definitely the one I'm most passionate about, however, most universities require a maths A-level qualification to do so. Does anyone know any unis that allow you to do it without? Also, if you are someone who does econ at uni without having studies maths at A-level, how are you finding it?
wasimchy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In case anyone is interested, I've begun compiling a google docs sheets of some of these unis along with their entry requirements.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wasimchy)
Hey, TSR users, I'm currently in the process of applying to university. Out of all my subjects, Economics is definitely the one I'm most passionate about, however, most universities require a maths A-level qualification to do so. Does anyone know any unis that allow you to do it without? Also, if you are someone who does econ at uni without having studies maths at A-level, how are you finding it?
You could possibly consider a foundation year
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
calsmith12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with above, do a foundation year but it will set you back an extra £6000 plus it extends the course by one year.
RallySPORT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,
I'm taking a gap year and re-applying to do economics without maths. A lot of universities don't require it, but I think part of it also depends on the course. A BSc in Economics is much more maths/statistics based than a BA I believe.
username3479192
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are not the first person to ask this, and won't be the last! Many people discover economics late and don't have A level maths. There are plenty of unis that don't require it, such as Birmingham (entry AAA), Loughborough (AAB), Generally, degree economics contains much more maths that A level economics so a good maths GCSE will always be expected and you should be comfortable with maths. Some unis offer two entry options - a BA for those without A level maths and a BSc for those with it, such as Nottingham, Sheffield and Leicester. The maths modules then differ to reflect your capability. It is worth researching the different unis as they do have different approaches and different maths content. The complete uni guide economics table lists courses broadly in entry criteria order, so you can see which ones are around your target grades.

To sus out the maths required, you could ask one of the unis what their first year maths textbook is, and have a look at it. Unfortunately, I don't study econonomics at uni, so I can't answer specifically about how hard the maths is. Good luck!
Ritik18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In case anyone is interested, I've begun compiling a google docs sheets of some of these unis along with their entry requirements.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Hey!!!

Finally found another person applying without A-level Maths. Out of curiosity, where did you end up applying?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.6%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.07%
No I am happy with my course choice (407)
56.92%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (103)
14.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise