Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

After some thought, I'm considering studying through the Open University, 2018. I'm considering studying the BA (Hons) Language Studies with English and French. Has anyone here studied the course that could give me some more information? What the tutors are like, how easy it is to study via the distance learning method and how big is the workload? Also on completion of this course, and a PGDE/PGCE would I be able to teach both English and French? It's either this course or the BA (Hons) Music Course I am planning to study, so any information on either would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 5527l)
    Hi Everyone,

After some thought, I'm considering studying through the Open University, 2018. I'm considering studying the BA (Hons) Language Studies with English and French. Has anyone here studied the course that could give me some more information? What the tutors are like, how easy it is to study via the distance learning method and how big is the workload? Also on completion of this course, and a PGDE/PGCE would I be able to teach both English and French? It's either this course or the BA (Hons) Music Course I am planning to study, so any information on either would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    I studied an OU French module some years ago but didn't enjoy it, the study resources were pretty rubbish and there was very little tutor support - however, after hearing that language modules had been updated, I decided to give them another go. My current module has only just started, but so far it looks to be much better - the books are good and there's far more contact time with tutors (mostly online in Skype-like sessions). That said, this is a distance learning degree so your language skills (especially speaking and listening) may not be as good as someone who has studied at a brick university. A number of OU language students employ private language tutors in the third and fourth years so they can get extra practice.

My tutor seems nice. At the OU (at least in language modules, not sure about other subjects) you're allowed to go to as many tutorials as you like, even ones not organised by your own tutor. This means that if you don't like your tutor / their teaching style, you can avoid them almost entirely. The pace is quite fast for complete beginners, the goal is to be roughly at GCSE standard by the end of the first year. It is doable.

With a BA in Language Studies (French and English), you could teach French and English Language. The course doesn't involve any literature at all so it might be difficult to find an English-teaching job. If you're more interested in lit than language, I suggest you do the BA Arts and Humanities (French and English Literature) degree instead.

Re the workload, it's difficult to say because it depends on how many modules you do per year and what type of learner you are. Most people find it manageable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I studied an OU French module some years ago but didn't enjoy it, the study resources were pretty rubbish and there was very little tutor support - however, after hearing that language modules had been updated, I decided to give them another go. My current module has only just started, but so far it looks to be much better - the books are good and there's far more contact time with tutors (mostly online in Skype-like sessions). That said, this is a distance learning degree so your language skills (especially speaking and listening) may not be as good as someone who has studied at a brick university. A number of OU language students employ private language tutors in the third and fourth years so they can get extra practice.

My tutor seems nice. At the OU (at least in language modules, not sure about other subjects) you're allowed to go to as many tutorials as you like, even ones not organised by your own tutor. This means that if you don't like your tutor / their teaching style, you can avoid them almost entirely. The pace is quite fast for complete beginners, the goal is to be roughly at GCSE standard by the end of the first year. It is doable.

Thanks! This is really helpful! When studying a language, how much is spoken and in what format is this done?

With a BA in Language Studies (French and English), you could teach French and English Language. The course doesn't involve any literature at all so it might be difficult to find an English-teaching job. If you're more interested in lit than language, I suggest you do the BA Arts and Humanities (French and English Literature) degree instead.

Re the workload, it's difficult to say because it depends on how many modules you do per year and what type of learner you are. Most people find it manageable.
    Thank you! This is really helpful! When studying a language, what percentage would you say is spoken - and in what format is it assessed?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 5527l)
    Thank you! This is really helpful! When studying a language, what percentage would you say is spoken - and in what format is it assessed?
    The Beginners French module is made up of 4 TMAs (coursework) and 4 iCMAs (online tests). It's hard to give a percentage, but I'd say about 1/4 of the beginners module is speaking practice. Two of the TMAs are speaking exams (you record your answer though, so you can prepare what you're going to say). There are in-person exams in the level 2 and 3 modules.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.