Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Discuss..

ReputationRep:
    Discuss what....

ReputationRep:
    No the idea is that the best arguments win

ReputationRep:
    It's more like, if the population isn't well educated than it's easier for tyrants to get into government and control us through the media. Which is why the tories are trying to make it difficult for us to get an education.
    • Very Important Poster

Anyone care to tell me what the OP means? Title doesnt make sense imo or is at least ambiguous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    It's more like, if the population isn't well educated than it's easier for tyrants to get into government and control us through the media. Which is why the tories are trying to make it difficult for us to get an education.
    That's a nice tinfoil hat you have there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Anyone care to tell me what the OP means? Title doesnt make sense imo or is at least ambiguous.
    I think it's alluding to the idea that I saw being thrown around alot during the last election and referendum, that the ignorant end up making the majority of the votes during elections.

e.g. "Brexiters are ignorant and don't know what they voted for"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    No the idea is that the best arguments win
    No it ain't, democracy's justification comes from its method, not its results. It's the fact that the majority decides that makes it a"good" system, not that the majority has the "right" answers to most questions.\

Edit: also, this is a dumbed down version of democracy. What everyone in the world knows is representative democracy where it's not the majority that rules but rather, complex and different kinds of pluralities and groups.

ReputationRep:
    Found me again..! I'm not sure why you have such an issue with this title! I know it is broad but I still think that it is valid as does everyone I have discussed it with. Are democratic systems actually run by unknowledgeable people, or are the decisions valid and through educated voting? Is it right that every person, no matter their political knowledge, should get an equal vote? Hope that clarifies it a little...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    No it ain't, democracy's justification comes from its method, not its results. It's the fact that the majority decides that makes it a"good" system, not that the majority has the "right" answers to most questions.\

Edit: also, this is a dumbed down version of democracy. What everyone in the world knows is representative democracy where it's not the majority that rules but rather, complex and different kinds of pluralities and groups.
    if you want a definition go read a dictionary
    • Very Important Poster

I think it's alluding to the idea that I saw being thrown around alot during the last election and referendum, that the ignorant end up making the majority of the votes during elections.

Thanks thats a reasonable idea. The op seemed unable/ reluctant to clarify.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks thats a reasonable idea. The op seemed unable/ reluctant to clarify.
    I have replied to you further up

ReputationRep:

I tend to accept the doctrine that Democracy is more about self determination than actually achieving the 'best' outcomes..

I.e it's more important that we all have a say, than whether or not we select the outcome that is actually best for us.

An analogy that all parents will understand is that it's a bit like allowing your young teen to start to choose their own clothes.
    They won't choose what is best for them, they will wear too little in the cold, flimsy shoes in the rain heavy hoodies on a summers day etc... The point is that they are being given the freedom to choose....

ReputationRep:
    "Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch" - Benjamin Franklin

Systems of government should be democratic, but true Democracies descend too easily to mob rule.

Many Democracies live only long enough for people to realize they can vote themselves money and then, like a rat realizing he can press a button to get crack, they kill themselves with the thing they want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.