Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, for A level I am studying double maths, physics and computer science. Although I would have liked to do chemistry, I was told that it is now too late to change course so I'm stuck. I want to apply to a US college ; what would I need to do? Would I be accepted onto a course involving chemistry if I did a SAT subject test in it? My GCSE grades weren't great, although I took them early so I could do them again next year - could a case ever be made (supposing they don't get better) for which a student gave predicted GCSEs in place of the actual grades, for a genuine reason such as serious unsettling in school due to lots of teachers being fired etc? Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olympiad1357)
    Hi, for A level I am studying double maths, physics and computer science. Although I would have liked to do chemistry, I was told that it is now too late to change course so I'm stuck. I want to apply to a US college ; what would I need to do? Would I be accepted onto a course involving chemistry if I did a SAT subject test in it? My GCSE grades weren't great, although I took them early so I could do them again next year - could a case ever be made (supposing they don't get better) for which a student gave predicted GCSEs in place of the actual grades, for a genuine reason such as serious unsettling in school due to lots of teachers being fired etc? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Heya! Although I study in England, I spent a large portion of my childhood in the States and was a senior there looking to apply to colleges.

I would say that an SAT subject test in the major you want to apply in would be a good idea; but I would suggest that you email the colleges that you're interested in at their admissions email. SAT subject tests are expensive to take and prepare for; and you want to be absolutely sure you need to take that on before you actually go ahead and do so. When you ask them, I would also mention which A-levels you're taking--there is a school of thought out there that believe that A-levels are more challenging than AP classes (the American equivalent) and so if the admissions tutors similarly buy into that school of thought you might just get away with only GCSEs and A-levels.

If you have any more questions about American admissions let me know!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.