Sister Clo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Please explain how to sketch the graph of y=ln(2x-3). Thanks.
AHappyStudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sister Clo)
Start by looking at the equations

y=ln(x)
y=ln(2x-3)

What transformation/s turn ln(x) into ln(2x-3)

Then apply these to the graph

It's also a good idea to sub in y=0 or x=0 and solve for x or y respectively to find some intercepts to guide you
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Consider what transformations take place when you go from \ln(x) (which I hope you know how to draw) to \ln(2x-3). Then consider how it would look like after these transformations, keeping in mind the critical points.
Sister Clo
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Consider what transformations take place when you go from \ln(x) (which I hope you know how to draw) to \ln(2x-3). Then consider how it would look like after these transformations, keeping in mind the critical points.
Thanks. I transform by 2x (stretch in the x direction, so half the x-values), then translate 3 to the right. Doesnt seem to be the same when using a grapher.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks. I transform by 2x (stretch in the y direction), then translate 3 to the right. Doesnt seem to be the same when using a grapher.
Why the y-direction? You're applying these onto y=\ln(x), not y=x. If it were the latter than it would be true, however alternatively it is also a stretch by s.f. 1/2 in x-direction.

Before that happens though, I recommend you translate it by 3 to the right because \ln(x) \mapsto \ln(x-3) is a translation to the right by 3 units, and then \ln(x-3) \mapsto \ln(2x-3) is a stretch by s.f. 1/2 along the x-axis.
Sister Clo
Rep:
?
(Original post by AHappyStudent)
Start by looking at the equations

y=ln(x)
y=ln(2x-3)

What transformation/s turn ln(x) into ln(2x-3)

Then apply these to the graph

It's also a good idea to sub in y=0 or x=0 and solve for x or y respectively to find some intercepts to guide you
Thanks - I stretch in the x-direction by scale factor half then translate 3 to the right. Seems to be different using graph plotter
Sister Clo
Rep:
?
Why the y-direction? You're applying these onto y=\ln(x), not y=x. If it were the latter than it would be true, however alternatively it is also a stretch by s.f. 1/2 in x-direction.

Before that happens though, I recommend you translate it by 3 to the right because \ln(x) \mapsto \ln(x-3) is a translation to the right by 3 units, and then \ln(x-3) \mapsto \ln(2x-3) is a stretch by s.f. 1/2 along the x-axis.
Thanks yet again - I think the issue I have problem getting my head around is why translate first, when I would do the 2x first for all other graphs without a problem.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks yet again - I think the issue I have problem getting my head around is why translate first, when I would do the 2x first for all other graphs without a problem.
You can do stretch first, just depends on the preference. You apply transformations to x, so if you do stretch by s.f. 1/2 first you end up with \ln(2x) and now you need to translate by an appropriate a such that \ln(2(x-a)) is equal to \ln(2x-3) - clearly a\neq 3 here like it could be in the first scenario.
Sister Clo
Rep:
?
You can do stretch first, just depends on the preference. You apply transformations to x, so if you do stretch by s.f. 1/2 first you end up with \ln(2x) and now you need to translate by an appropriate a such that \ln(2(x-a)) is equal to \ln(2x-3) - clearly a\neq 3 here like it could be in the first scenario.

Thank you. Much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?