Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm new to the student room and I was just wondering if anyone knows any effective ways to study for GCSE's?? I would love some new ways in which may help me progress??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niamh Lynch)
    Hi,
    I'm new to the student room and I was just wondering if anyone knows any effective ways to study for GCSE's?? I would love some new ways in which may help me progress??
    GCSE's may sound challenging, but honestly it's not. I tthink the most effective ways are those used the most: taking short notes, practicing past papers, going through the specification to make sure you know everything and most importantly preparing from the beginnin and not waiting for the last moment.
    Hope this helps, although I'm aware that none of these are new. However, old is gold!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Pm me if you want im also year 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thachi3)
    GCSE's may sound challenging, but honestly it's not. I tthink the most effective ways are those used the most: taking short notes, practicing past papers, going through the specification to make sure you know everything and most importantly preparing from the beginnin and not waiting for the last moment.
    Hope this helps, although I'm aware that none of these are new. However, old is gold!
    Hi thank you for such a rapid response, i will take your comments on board and do all i can. Thank you again!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    I'm not sure what GCSEs you are doing, but here are how i am revising for mine.

English Lit and Lang - For lit you basically have to know important parts of whatever plays you are doing really well. Whatever passages you get, try and link the passage to the main themes of the play because that is what they want you to do. For the poems, learn a few really well that link together and you can compare. Learn the others as well in case you don't get one you revised really well for. In power and conflict, poems like Exposure, Ozymandias and Remains are really good and can be linked to others well. For language you cannot really do any formal revision, you have to just learn how to answer the questions. Look at specimen mark schemes and see where you get marks from and what for. This is how you would score top marks in it.

Sciences - All sciences at GCSE are just a memory game, so what i'd recommend you do is get a revision guide for each one(or just 1 if you are doing combined) and learn all the facts and equations there are. Make additional notes on them to strengthen your memory. Revise longer for your worst science(if any). Also, past papers are really useful for sciences because that is where you apply your knowledge. Do papers from the old spec aswell because the question style hasn't changed, they have just added new content. LEARN ALL EQUATIONS!

Maths- Maths is difficult because you have to really like it to be motivated to do well in it. For some it is easy but for others, they hate it. I myself love it, so what i would suggest you do for revision is first learn all the facts for all topics(you don't have to learn them 100%) then just get onto past papers. When you get questions wrong, look at the mark schemes and see how it is solved and then over time you will learn to apply the knowledge. Old spec papers work OK for this as well, i recommend you save newer spec papers for later on. There is however a lot of new content on the new spec, so go online and find worksheets on these specific topics . There are more resources online for Maths revision than for any other subject in GCSE (even for the new spec) because so many people find it difficult. Use these resources to maximise your chances for a good grade.

Those are the core subjects which i assume you are doing. If there are any other subjects that you need advice for, and i do it i would be happy to give you more tips. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi thank you for such a rapid response, i will take your comments on board and do all i can. Thank you again!!!
    Glad I was of help. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I find it good to make revision cards and summaries of notes into quick, easy formats (like mind maps e.c.t) but there are a bunch of online things like if your school has GCSE pod. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amymcg23)
    I find it good to make revision cards and summaries of notes into quick, easy formats (like mind maps e.c.t) but there are a bunch of online things like if your school has GCSE pod. X
    Hi yeas thank you for your help I will try some of these revision techniques, unfortunately my school does not have GCSE pod. Thanks so much again!! XX

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.