Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should people be criticized for past decisions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the event that someone did quite a few crappy things in the past, should they still be criticized for it even if they change their behavior and try to become a relatively better individual? It's a rather extreme and oddly specific example, but If Hitler were alive today and was on a crusade to become a better human being, would you give him the benefit of the doubt and absolve him of his wrongful actions or would you criticize him irrespective of his zeal? If you would still criticize the individual, why?

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't criticise them if they are evidently trying to change their behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    In the event that someone did quite a few crappy things in the past, should they still be criticized for it even if they change their behavior and become a relatively better individual? It's a rather extreme and oddly specific example, but If Hitler were alive today and was on a crusade to become a better human being, would you give him the benefit of the doubt and absolve him of his wrongful actions or would you criticize him? If you would still criticize the individual, why?
    I don't think I would call it criticising, rather whether or not your sure that they are actually changing or if its all just a act. For instance, if it was Hitler, the general thought would be that he's planning somethig evil by being kind.
    But, I'm all for a change. The better is for the best. If only people were willingg to see the good in people, they would also beleive that Hitler decided against burning!

ReputationRep:
    small things no
    • Very Important Poster

Depends on the case but when you have willfully been responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent people then sorry doesnt really cut it.

ReputationRep:
    if Hitler were alive today and decided to become don quixote then I'd gladly welcome him to do so, but be very aprahensive at 1st to deciding that he's changed at all as a person. perhaps given some time, if he's evidently a different person than he was in the 30s and 40s then I might decide that he shouldn't get as much slack anymore for what he did, but that what he did still isn't and won't ever be forgiven
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.