Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my third year dissertation. I have to do some interviews for my primary research but I really don’t want to. Do you think it is possible to give out questionnaires instead and just say in the write up that I interviewed the participants. Do you think the markers would find out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeFooty20)
    I am currently doing my third year geography dissertation. I have to do some interviews for my primary research but I really don’t want to. Do you think it is possible to give out questionnaires instead and just say in the write up that I interviewed the participants. Do you think the markers would find out?
    Why don't you want to do interviews? If you write that you conducted interviews in your dissertation you will most likely have to provide transcripts of those interviews in your appendix.

I wouldn't lie because it's not practical and damages the integrity of your discipline.

ReputationRep:
    If you're supposed to be doing interviews you will need to have written consent forms and ethics statement etc which would probably be more hassle to forge than just doing the interviews.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine did about 80% of the surveys herself because she couldn't find enough willing participants. No one ever found out; and no one cares enough to find out. The markers will probably read the first and last chapter, and skim the rest. They've got stuff to be doing.

This was an online form, though, so it is a little bit different.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.