Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I left my first ever job today. It was a retail job. I started back in June so I've only had it for just under 5 months, and I officially resigned today. I resigned because I just wasn't really ever good at the job itself (I needed the money so I could afford to buy a car), and I simply do not belong in retail (I am not the sort of person who should spend their time putting tags on clothes or telling people phrases like "have a nice day" and "did you find everything you are looking for"). The job also required me to trek 3 miles (on foot) every weekend on top of sixth form, so I have up until yesterday been working every single day since school started (that is, I have either been in school or working). It left me exhausted every day and I never got to do any homework or school work over the weekend - that was my main concern.

But a part of me just feels a bit sad, because I had a nice little setup there and was earning some fairly good money for myself (it felt good for me because it took me a long time to find a job that would accept me); and it gave me something to do with my otherwise completely isolated and lonely life at home. You see, when I had the job, I didn't have time to feel lonely or isolated, and I had a lot to do (although too much to do). And I guess I am just going to miss that.

I am still in sixth form, and maybe I'm complaining about nothing, but I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I just feel like I should have stayed on longer, as that way I would have had something to do. Also if any other sixth former has had a similar experience feel free to reply.

ReputationRep:
    It is good to get a part time job, but you have to remember your education is important too. To keep yourself busy, you could try volunteering at the weekend - it gets you meeting and interacting with people. Volunteering is usually flexible, so if you are quite busy with schoolwork, you could ask for the weekend off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.