Turn on thread page Beta

Sad about leaving my first job :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I left my first ever job today. It was a retail job. I started back in June so I've only had it for just under 5 months, and I officially resigned today. I resigned because I just wasn't really ever good at the job itself (I needed the money so I could afford to buy a car), and I simply do not belong in retail (I am not the sort of person who should spend their time putting tags on clothes or telling people phrases like "have a nice day" and "did you find everything you are looking for"). The job also required me to trek 3 miles (on foot) every weekend on top of sixth form, so I have up until yesterday been working every single day since school started (that is, I have either been in school or working). It left me exhausted every day and I never got to do any homework or school work over the weekend - that was my main concern.

But a part of me just feels a bit sad, because I had a nice little setup there and was earning some fairly good money for myself (it felt good for me because it took me a long time to find a job that would accept me); and it gave me something to do with my otherwise completely isolated and lonely life at home. You see, when I had the job, I didn't have time to feel lonely or isolated, and I had a lot to do (although too much to do). And I guess I am just going to miss that.

I am still in sixth form, and maybe I'm complaining about nothing, but I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I just feel like I should have stayed on longer, as that way I would have had something to do. Also if any other sixth former has had a similar experience feel free to reply.

ReputationRep:
    It is good to get a part time job, but you have to remember your education is important too. To keep yourself busy, you could try volunteering at the weekend - it gets you meeting and interacting with people. Volunteering is usually flexible, so if you are quite busy with schoolwork, you could ask for the weekend off.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.