The Student Room Group

A complete course change 2nd year in to un

Im currently studying a media based BA (jou) . My goal is to be a doctor/surgeon. I was never academically a whizz in maths or science but my passion is raw. I finally passed my gcse in maths in my second year of college. Unfortunately because i didnt have it when i enrolled i could do A levels in science meaning i could never have the option to study a medicine degree. Im in my first yearvof my degree which dont get me wrong i love however i know deep down that this is what i want to be complete. If i apply to study it after my first year of a degree will my a levels be taken into account or will it be my level 5 (1st yr degree) does anybody have any advice on what to do? I would consider saving to do an a level private but i dont want to if its all for nothing:frown: thanks for the help xx
Original post by Winterspice
Im currently studying a media based BA (jou) . My goal is to be a doctor/surgeon. I was never academically a whizz in maths or science but my passion is raw. I finally passed my gcse in maths in my second year of college. Unfortunately because i didnt have it when i enrolled i could do A levels in science meaning i could never have the option to study a medicine degree. Im in my first yearvof my degree which dont get me wrong i love however i know deep down that this is what i want to be complete. If i apply to study it after my first year of a degree will my a levels be taken into account or will it be my level 5 (1st yr degree) does anybody have any advice on what to do? I would consider saving to do an a level private but i dont want to if its all for nothing:frown: thanks for the help xx

It would still be based on your a-levels. At this point your best bet is to complete you degree, looking into doing bio and chem a-levels near the end of it and apply as a graduate.

Or you can drop out and look in to access courses or medicine with a foundation year. However, seeing as you'll miss this years deadline for foundation year and wouldn't be able to start the access until next year (and only certain universities accept certain access courses), you'd be risking losing a couple of years trying to get in with no real guarantee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending